Vat killing me!

simonm

This is another one of those ill thought out comments.

Farmers rent land all over the place and make money from it.

Do they really that must be why none of them go out of business.

Edit I should quantify this. Unless you are farming 1000 plus acres it's a struggle to make it worth the bother

Edited by Richard 1234

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And yet with all that if you don't own the land outright you will not make any money!!

I think all farmers should stop work and live on this huge amount of money they have been given.........

It's a shame we would starve in the process

Evening Ricardo!

Mate, I think, without actually knowing it, we probably have a very similar frustration.

And part of what you say above, I genuinely agree with - "...I think all farmers should stop work..."

However, I would change the second part of your statement to read "...until the inequities, greed, nepotism and corruption of the CLA, NFU, land barons, establishment grandees, hereditary decedents, hedge funds, grant traders and government QUANGOS get off the multi billion pound gravy train and pass the available money to those actually working the land..." Or something like that....

I totally agree with you that there probably ain't many crumbs left on the table after the vultures have feasted, but I simply cannot understand why working men and women (in agriculture) tolerate such blatant fund hoovering by the big boys and still support the likes of the NFU.

It might not be immediately obvious, but I suspect our individual frustrations may have more in common than we give them credit for.

Do they really that must be why none of them go out of business.

Edit I should quantify this. Unless you are farming 1000 plus acres it's a struggle to make it worth the bother

90% of the working population could say the exactly same thing, they just don't bleat on about it like farmers do and generally live in much less desirable areas :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes:

Evening Ricardo!

Mate, I think, without actually knowing it, we probably have a very similar frustration.

And part of what you say above, I genuinely agree with - "...I think all farmers should stop work..."

However, I would change the second part of your statement to read "...until the inequities, greed, nepotism and corruption of the CLA, NFU, land barons, establishment grandees, hereditary decedents, hedge funds, grant traders and government QUANGOS get off the multi billion pound gravy train and pass the available money to those actually working the land..." Or something like that....

I totally agree with you that there probably ain't many crumbs left on the table after the vultures have feasted, but I simply cannot understand why working men and women (in agriculture) tolerate such blatant fund hoovering by the big boys and still support the likes of the NFU.

It might not be immediately obvious, but I suspect our individual frustrations may have more in common than we give them credit for.

I agree with the subsidies in principle as it costs huge amounts of money to farm. However the way in which they are distributed is stupid.

There are farmer near me farming 3000 plus acres with 3 tractors plus implements. Now these are very big tractors but to farm 50 acres you need one tractor plus implements. Yes smaller tractors but still huge money for something that works!

The prices are terrible for what you produce so again it's about how much you can produce.

How do you decide what money should be given to who?

Until we get real world prices for what is produced the bad system will stay in place. And to change it the big boys would need to agree in effect and they won't as they make too much money.

As a side note they should cut some of the red tape!!!

Back in the summer, at a motoring event at Brands Hatch, we were walking around the paddocks and got talking to a chap. Turned out he was the team owner, two or three cars and a big lorry kitted out as garage and mobile workshop.

Must cost a bit running a team we said. Oh, you all pay for this he said. I'm a farmer and get paid subsidies. Got to spend it on something or it will be taken away he said!

http://www.cormacktreecare.co.uk