Vat killing me!

simonm

Depends how much land doesn't it!

You seem to have changed your tune, from 'do they really'.

No it doesn't matter how much land. I rent a bit and it makes a profit.

I also know two lads on Arbtalk that are local to me that rent 80 acres each through a benevolent (sp) fund. Would they be renting small plots if there was no money in it?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You seem to have changed your tune, from 'do they really'.

No it doesn't matter how much land. I rent a bit and it makes a profit.

I also know two lads on Arbtalk that are local to me that rent 80 acres each through a benevolent (sp) fund. Would they be renting small plots if there was no money in it?

Enough to live on?

Richard, it might come across and be interpreted as me being anti farming / ag because I criticise some of the systems. I'm not, I am of, in and surrounded by ag. I have strong connections with and many friends, colleagues and contemporaries in the sector.

You could say, it is 'from within' rather than as a detached, 'townie', Guardian reader style rural campaigner that I get frustrated with what appears to me to be the constant complaining despite being the best supported industry in the U.K.

Many sectors are 'tough." Try having a conversation with a miner, a steel worker, an independent high street retailer.... I'm not sure you'll feel gushing sympathy! I believe even forestry contributes more to UK GDP than ag.

If you can name me 1 business sector that gets a more favourable trading condition than ag, I'll eat my hat!

And I hear the "you'll starve without us" and "we're the custodians of the countryside" arguments almost everyday. They are tired, lame and inaccurate strap lines which people are starting to tire of.

This green and pleasant land is actually a landscape scarred by industrial exploitation of the profit fuelled desire to maximise agricultural output not act as "custodians" of the countryside for the benefit of the countryside.

My greatest fear is that agriculture loses its high public regard through the greed and inequities that are propagated by the NFU.

It frustrates me that those within the sector ( the workers) are so blind and apparently compliant / complicit with the gross unfairness of the current system.

Brexit presents the perfect opportunity to get this right!

Richard, it might come across and be interpreted as me being anti farming / ag because I criticise some of the systems. I'm not, I am of, in and surrounded by ag. I have strong connections with and many friends, colleagues and contemporaries in the sector.

You could say, it is 'from within' rather than as a detached, 'townie', Guardian reader style rural campaigner that I get frustrated with what appears to me to be the constant complaining despite being the best supported industry in the U.K.

Many sectors are 'tough." Try having a conversation with a miner, a steel worker, an independent high street retailer.... I'm not sure you'll feel gushing sympathy! I believe even forestry contributes more to UK GDP than ag.

If you can name me 1 business sector that gets a more favourable trading condition than ag, I'll eat my hat!

And I hear the "you'll starve without us" and "we're the custodians of the countryside" arguments almost everyday. They are tired, lame and inaccurate strap lines which people are starting to tire of.

This green and pleasant land is actually a landscape scarred by industrial exploitation of the profit fuelled desire to maximise agricultural output not act as "custodians" of the countryside for the benefit of the countryside.

My greatest fear is that agriculture loses its high public regard through the greed and inequities that are propagated by the NFU.

It frustrates me that those within the sector ( the workers) are so blind and apparently compliant / complicit with the gross unfairness of the current system.

I think your quote from earlier may ring true as in we are on the same side weirdly!!!!

However the starving bit is true like it or not unless we import everything which can't be a good idea I think everyone can see that.

As a nation we can't feed ourselves now which is a sad state of affairs and very damaging with brexit coming.

Yes the intensive farming does the land no good.

As for the VAT flat rate at 6%(?) is this not calculated on the cost of the rebated VAT you would get if you were on normal rates? Genuine question as I don't know!

not to derail thread sorry steve. but does the drop in the sterling vs euro affect anyone

Yes, people with second homes in E.U countries have been wounded badly by the exchange rate.

2009 saw parity with a pound being a euro after falling from 1.42 where it had been for a few years.

Now again people are faced with the same situation.

1.42 earlier in the year down to 1.10 (ignore airport exchange rates)

Imagine, trying to operate a business when your client base experiences a 25% drop in income.

That is how it is here for many Brits living and working in France who have not integrated sufficiently and broken into the French market.

I am largely insulated from exchange rate fluctuations having worked hard to develop a business based on French clients with only around 10% British.

Ty

Great post altogether and I'm from a farming background

When you've all quite finished tarring farmers with the same brush, please come and explain to me why when I'm rolling in all this money, why I have to work elsewhere 7 days a week to make ends meet and why I have to make a 20 mile round trip everyday to where my animals are because land rents etc have been forced up by land being bought up by townies with money and bigger farmers who are playing the subsidy game. Theres two sides to every story, same as not all tree surgeons are riding about in new trucks with new chippers, you cant judge everybody by what you see of the few.

Sent from my E5823 using Arbtalk mobile app

When you've all quite finished tarring farmers with the same brush, please come and explain to me why when I'm rolling in all this money, why I have to work elsewhere 7 days a week to make ends meet and why I have to make a 20 mile round trip everyday to where my animals are because land rents etc have been forced up by land being bought up by townies with money and bigger farmers who are playing the subsidy game. Theres two sides to every story, same as not all tree surgeons are riding about in new trucks with new chippers, you cant judge everybody by what you see of the few.

You're right there mate, not the same for everyone at all, it's a mess which to be fair they are trying to sort out to a degree, slipper farming should be on its way out as we speak hopefully, it's got to be production based at the very least. But then again if the all powerful supermarkets insist on paying 23p for a litre of milk that costs 30p to produce, then the mess will continue.

What do you think of the supermarkets role in this Kevin? I'd be interested in your (and anyone else's ) opinion.

but is this not yr life choice ,correct me if im wrong