Sad day RIP Defender

needenginerunnin

Japanese is that how you spell it?.... "Japanese", show some respect people...its not 1974 anymore...

Now, I like the LR, not that I've ever owned one, but they do look nice as they pass down the road.. and from what I gather they come in handy for towing stuff.

Apart from looking good and being able to tow stuff there isn't much else going for them.

Cost too much, comfort level next to none existent and apparently break down every third key turn...

Nope, not for me.. I'll stick to ma van an be done..

Still, sad to see production go to India, though if LR had any sense, they'd of moved production to China years ago... muppets..

:confused1:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not fair to compare a 30 or 40 year old landy to a Japanese truck unless your going to compare one that hasn't had thousands spent on it being restored three times. Do that and your comparing two piles of rust, only one rust pile costs twice as much as the other. Maybe if Japanese truck were grossly over priced and the owners needed to keep them on the road for three decades to get their moneys worth, then we might have a 'jap 4x4 appreciation thread':thumbup: as said before, I like them but if you want a good landy you need to build it yourself, that's the pisser, you give all that money to LF for a poorly built kit car!:lol:

The writings been on the wall for years, the owners i know view their defenders through rose tinted spectacles. I sometimes ride in my friends quite late one, and after half hour journey on main roads, i fall out of the passenger seat in need of an osteopath,and/or a chiropractor.

He refers to his pride and joy as '2 oil leaks connected by an electrical fault' .

Edited by oldwoodcutter

So many people knock landrovers and yet over 60% of all the ones ever built are still on the road which can't be said for any other make of 4x4, for long enough they were also the only one that could tow 3.5 ton, unfortunately they got a bad rep with the last of the series 3's built during the British Leyland period and then again during ford's ownership and then once owned by BMW who really only had interest in the discovery and ranger rover to expand thier slice of the luxury car market, I've owned plenty over the years my first being a 1968 series 2a and I'm now on my 4th or 5th discovery one not sure what I'll replace it with if I ever do because anything newer needs a degree in electrical engineering to do anything to them.

I have a 54 plate hi cap I run mine over a weighbridge and it weighed 8 ton 200kgs still pulled well I have towed tractors from the top of Scotland on my ifor don't think any other vehicle is capable of that only a mog, I do service mine to death with genuine parts,it's been on some very tough off road jobs and it's never missed a beat would never sell it.

I do like their towing capabilities, legally they can tow more than most, but so can a Fourtrak (according to a mate) and is a great little off roader for under a grand, wouldn't get much of a landy for that, and if you put the same time and money into it, probably last as long?

Hi flatyre we have a farmer just down the road he has one I laugh ever time I see it because the bumpers are hanging of every panel is dented and it full of mud,would love to find out the mot station he uses bottle of whisky left behind his drivers seat comes to mind,I have seen loads in Wales they do look a tough truck. Few farmers use them in a cattle market I go to.dont think many of the new pickups are up to much I had had a few and I have wrecked them after 18 months.

I do like their towing capabilities, legally they can tow more than most, but so can a Fourtrak (according to a mate) and is a great little off roader for under a grand, wouldn't get much of a landy for that, and if you put the same time and money into it, probably last as long?

Ha ha you think a Defender rusts?! Get yourself a Fourtrak then..:lol: you will wake up to a pile of iron oxide on your drive...