Sad day RIP Defender

needenginerunnin

its to do with evolution and the design.

the old landy hasn't changed that much in the last 70 years, while cars have changed lots, in the way they are nailed together so to speak.

in a word landys are crude and simple 'KISS' if you like, which is a blessing and there down fall.

they are easier to bodge than most and it gets them a bad name, not the landys fault.

yes odd bits fall off at almost any age, but you find me an other motor that comes close to matching it for what it has and can do. not too many 1980's 4x4 about.

while modern 4x4 can out preform on the road they cant do short runs with out warning lights flashing and a computer upset. evolution backwards.

and to date I haven't seen a jap 4x4 owner club thread on arbtalk.

needenginerunnin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are TATA not just going to move the factory to India, and make them for the Indian market? I don't expect they are so worried about emissions and safety..

With a cheaper work force it might still be economic and TATA Defenders would be a great vehicle if affordable for much of the developing world..

They are planning to build the replacement in India I believe..

It the end of an era for sure and i for one am sad about it.

I speak as i find and my Landrover (300tdi hicap) has been like my rock for the past 7 years having seen other machines and vehicles come and go. How many Jap vehicles are still tugging a 3 ton digger around regularly at nearly 20 years of age with minimal downtime.

I have mixed feelings. I love my 300tdi tipper. I can't see a jap truck touching it apart from long motorway trips, which I don't do often. I can't help thinking that they are over priced though. I also think that when they starting having too many creature comforts the resulting price increase was too great and the Defender changed from a utility truck to a bit of a fashion statement. Shame because I don't think they're great as a 'car' but excellent as a work horse!

I'm looking for another to join my fleet!

Are TATA not just going to move the factory to India, and make them for the Indian market? I don't expect they are so worried about emissions and safety..

With a cheaper work force it might still be economic and TATA Defenders would be a great vehicle if affordable for much of the developing world..

They are planning to build the replacement in India I believe..

Hi BEN The DEFENDER was dropped ON safety not on emissions in USA you could buy new one for years no air bags should of stop making years ago thnks Jon

I too have mixed feelings about land rovers. I learned to drive on Army rovers, bought three old mark 2A diesel for deer management on Lulworth ranges and only managed to keep them on the road by nicking fuel from the Army. The worst one I bought was one of the 2.5 six cylinder petrol .A bleeding nightmare. I once had to be towed home by a Morris Marina when a drive shaft went. Very embarrassing to say the least. That said, I will be sorry to see them go. Iconic British vehicle for all it's faults.

?

I too have mixed feelings about land rovers. I learned to drive on Army rovers, bought three old mark 2A diesel for deer management on Lulworth ranges and only managed to keep them on the road by nicking fuel from the Army. The worst one I bought was one of the 2.5 six cylinder petrol .A bleeding nightmare. I once had to be towed home by a Morris Marina when a drive shaft went. Very embarrassing to say the least. That said, I will be sorry to see them go. Iconic British vehicle for all it's faults.

?

Hi all there going on the BBC one show thanks Jon

Japanese is that how you spell it?.... "Japanese", show some respect people...its not 1974 anymore...

Now, I like the LR, not that I've ever owned one, but they do look nice as they pass down the road.. and from what I gather they come in handy for towing stuff.

Apart from looking good and being able to tow stuff there isn't much else going for them.

Cost too much, comfort level next to none existent and apparently break down every third key turn...

Nope, not for me.. I'll stick to ma van an be done..

Still, sad to see production go to India, though if LR had any sense, they'd of moved production to China years ago... muppets..

its to do with evolution and the design.

the old landy hasn't changed that much in the last 70 years, while cars have changed lots, in the way they are nailed together so to speak.

in a word landys are crude and simple 'KISS' if you like, which is a blessing and there down fall.

they are easier to bodge than most and it gets them a bad name, not the landys fault.

yes odd bits fall off at almost any age, but you find me an other motor that comes close to matching it for what it has and can do. not too many 1980's 4x4 about.

while modern 4x4 can out preform on the road they cant do short runs with out warning lights flashing and a computer upset. evolution backwards.

and to date I haven't seen a jap 4x4 owner club thread on arbtalk.

needenginerunnin

That's because we don't need to keep crying on each other's shoulders and asking advice about the latest thing to fall off our trucks. :biggrin: