Sad day RIP Defender

needenginerunnin

Unfortunately for me, for something to qualify as 'the best' value needs to be considered as much as ability, not denying its the most versatile 4x4 ever made, just incredibly over priced. The Defender is the best you can get but no thanks to LR. If you have the money to buy a new landy buy a second hand one and use the spare cash to get it to the standard LR should have done in the first place, then you'll have the best 4x4 ever made!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The LR Defender: "best4x4xFar"

Yes, it hasn't got airbags, comfortable seats, cruise control like the Japanese pickups BUT it does exactly what it says on the tin. Day in, day out...

[ATTACH]197887[/ATTACH][ATTACH]197888[/ATTACH][ATTACH]197889[/ATTACH][ATTACH]197890[/ATTACH]

When it's working😁😁😁😁😁😁

And before you say anything I like them and I would get one tomorrow if I could justify it👍👍

I have been a life long LR fan, owned 2 series motors, 4 90s and a Freelander and loved all of them to bits BUT LR never moved with the times. I have seen Defenders with rusty cross members less than a year old - and they charge how much for that!! If Audi can galvanise chassis I don't see why LR cannot. Engines have always been a bit under powered and on the small size. And lets face it, LR have not been interested in offering a work vehicle for some time; once RR,RR Sport and Freelander took off that was the death knoll for the Defender.

I agree with previous comments that when D3 came out, it should have had a lengthened chassis to make a double cab or single cab pick up. That would have been suitable competition for the Japanese.

They weren't even bothered about loosing the MoD contract because they had already sold them millions of pounds worth of spares.

So yes, it is sad production has stopped but lets wake up and smell the coffee - it wasnt a mythical being, it had its faults and poor build quality, small engines, greatly overpriced were but a few. And yes, if i won the lottery i would have a collection of them in my shed!!

Reliability wasn't good enough! A farming friend ,changed his LR defender evry 4 years, needed to go about 100 miles to a bull sale, in order to be sure of getting back home, they took his sons 10 year old Mitsubushi pick up! he was a life long LR man, but eventually bought a Jap! too many realiability issues!