Customers who drag payment out

simonm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't have the confidence to ask a customer if they're happy, that's a big problem that would be worth fixing!

Its not a matter of confidence, i know ive done a good job,and exactly to what the customer has specified. Instead i generally say something like ' that looks a lot better' or what a great difference its made.

With some customers, if you're not going to load up until they're happy, you could be there for a long time.

• 2 months later...

Emailed in an invoice to a company a week before this thread started. Still awaiting payment for nearly £4K.

More annoying was the fact that they asked me to drop the labour cost by 5% as a sign of good faith and on the understanding that I would be getting further work from them.

I can earn my final income from that job more easily just doing Mrs Smith's trees and other residential work, and get paid within 2 weeks in pretty much every case.

Any bets when I might see my money? So tempted just to ditch them as a contractor.

It's not like we're short of work up here.

Emailed in an invoice to a company a week before this thread started. Still awaiting payment for nearly £4K.

More annoying was the fact that they asked me to drop the labour cost by 5% as a sign of good faith and on the understanding that I would be getting further work from them.

I can earn my final income from that job more easily just doing Mrs Smith's trees and other residential work, and get paid within 2 weeks in pretty much every case.

Any bets when I might see my money? So tempted just to ditch them as a contractor.

It's not like we're short of work up here.[/quote

Keep on at them for payment, don't drop your original quote especially after you've received a purchase order, get paid then ditch them if your not struggling for work, I'm sure some firms just swap contractors once they've pissed 1 off!

It's not like we're short of work up here.[/quote

Keep on at them for payment, don't drop your original quote especially after you've received a purchase order, get paid then ditch them if your not struggling for work, I'm sure some firms just swap contractors once they've pissed 1 off!

I really resent customers that actually believe they can get away with the bait and switch with me by thinking I should grant them some sort of discount for future work and or orders. I also believe that the customer that gave you a check and made the payment in your company name even after you requested the check be made in your name was just being spiteful and mean:thumbdown:

easy-lift guy

The 5% drop was requested at the quote stage.

If it had been a small job I could weather the long payment. But nearly 4K was a big ask. The contractor I worked for is probably still waiting for the main customer to pay. I'm at the end of the chain. :-( I also had to pay the traffic control within 30 days as per that company's terms. The contractor didn't want to pay that direct, even though they could reclaim the vat. They obviously didn't want to expose themselves to that debt while waiting payment. So I take the hit.

The hardest bit has been holding off from kit repairs, replacements and some vehicle work.

It's not like we're short of work up here.

The old "drop your price and we'll give you more work in the future" trick.

I'm sure that on courses for professional procurers of services, that one is probably taught on their first day of college.

I bet they couldn't believe you fell for it.

You'll get your money, just don't hold your breath.

I did a little job for an old lady a few weeks ago, topping a conifer hedge. First off she haggled over the price for six weeks, then demanded I removed the old fence around the front garden too (for free). When she sensed I was nearly finished she disappeared due to an urgent matter. Then when I called back she wasn't in, finally caught up with her and got a cheque which bounced as her pension hadn't gone in on time. I finally got paid for the job in cash. She showed all the signs of a non payer but turned out ok. I think sometimes customers just don't realise they're being a pain, like we operate a finance deal or something. Anyway it worried me a bit as I've never had a non payer. How do you avoid them, take a deposit? There are a lot of big well known well established firms in my area who could ask for full payment up front as they are trusted, not sure if I could get away with taking a deposit as i'm less well established?

I did a little job for an old lady a few weeks ago, topping a conifer hedge. First off she haggled over the price for six weeks, then demanded I removed the old fence around the front garden too (for free). When she sensed I was nearly finished she disappeared due to an urgent matter. Then when I called back she wasn't in, finally caught up with her and got a cheque which bounced as her pension hadn't gone in on time. I finally got paid for the job in cash. She showed all the signs of a non payer but turned out ok. I think sometimes customers just don't realise they're being a pain, like we operate a finance deal or something. Anyway it worried me a bit as I've never had a non payer. How do you avoid them, take a deposit? There are a lot of big well known well established firms in my area who could ask for full payment up front as they are trusted, not sure if I could get away with taking a deposit as i'm less well established?

Having to chase up for payment really grips me. It's admin and hassle that distracts from more productive work.

I've only got 2 left that are habitual "oh, could you just..." and "payment should be in this week..." types.

1 is a big outfit the other a domestic. The big outfit are an admin shambles with a standard payment term of end of the month following receipt of invoice. I don't mind waiting but I don't like having to chase up when it (invariably) passes even that lead time. They get job + 20-30% (depending how I feel on the day) slapped on top at invoice time now to cover my inconvenience. Not bothered if they go elsewhere, they're such a shambles it's always last minute emergency work so, as it stands, they need me (occasionally) more than I need them.

The domestic one has had felling & clean up but want stump grinding some time soon. I'll give them a price and say work starts when funds are received. If they don't like it they can do one.

The old "drop your price and we'll give you more work in the future" trick.

I'm sure that on courses for professional procurers of services, that one is probably taught on their first day of college.

I bet they couldn't believe you fell for it.

You'll get your money, just don't hold your breath.

Yep oldest trick in the book, if someone says this I tend not to even price it now as it usually means it's not worth the hassle, or alternatively price it high instead to cover inconvenience if they do go for it.