Customers who drag payment out

simonm

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We turn up on time to price jobs, turn up on time to do the work clear up and i like to think we give a good service so why do customers insist on dragging payment out :sneaky2: latest 1 is an oldish woman who lives a 2 min drive from me, did everything i said we would cleared up and when it comes to payment....nothing! i hate when you have to ask them to pay you after you have finished, she dodged the question twice then said when i give her an invoice she will put a cheque through my letterbox :sneaky2: that was 4 days ago wtf :thumbdown: in total we have 11 grand outstanding! its a joke.

Have you considered excepting CC for payment?. For the amount of funds your carrying I would make a point of getting my money a lot sooner than later.

Just remember that whether your serving residential or commercial customers once they find out that your playing the part of banker and there are no consequences for their slow payment they will take advantage of you every time. You work to hard for your money to allow these parasites to take advantage of you, your business.

easy-lift guiy

I've started been quite blunt with domestic customers now when they say at the end of the job, send me an invoice and I'll post you a cheque, my response.... I'll save you the bother, write me 1 now and I'll send you a invoice and confirmation of payment when I get time, it'll save you finding a stamp. Commercial jobs now get a reminder 2 days before it's overdue to what was agreed before starting work and any job that involves a group of people like parish councils are offered a 10% reduction if payed within 5 days which normally works. In most cases I'd add ed 10% onto the quote just to be able to take it off again 😜

It's pretty simple.

Be really upfront about payment terms at quotation stage, not after the job.

For domestic I want invoiced cash or bank transfer that day, no cheques (pensioners excepted).

If they start pulling faces at this I'll probably not be working for them, God knows what they'll be like after the job if they're grizzling before it.

Commercial is different, it's all negotiable though.

Just be clear from the outset.

I've found the slow payment problem has increased with domestic customers because of BACS. I remember few years ago whenever you finished a job some one was waiting with the cash or a cheque to settle up. Now I seem to give them my BACS details and for a lot of them it seems to be as and when they get round to doing it! 🙈

I've started been quite blunt with domestic customers now when they say at the end of the job, send me an invoice and I'll post you a cheque, my response.... I'll save you the bother, write me 1 now and I'll send you a invoice and confirmation of payment when I get time, it'll save you finding a stamp. Commercial jobs now get a reminder 2 days before it's overdue to what was agreed before starting work and any job that involves a group of people like parish councils are offered a 10% reduction if payed within 5 days which normally works. In most cases I'd add ed 10% onto the quote just to be able to take it off again 😜

i just take the invoice with me :biggrin: then say cheque or bacs witch evers best for you :biggrin: