550 xp problems

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

560 seems to be well sorted, 550 is not far behind, the hot starting seems to be the final issue, this will be sorted out soon i am sure, at the moment hot start, do not use deco valve, pull choke out and in to open throttle ( chain brake on ) dont be afraid to use the purge, and they fire up ok.

560 seems to be well sorted, 550 is not far behind, the hot starting seems to be the final issue, this will be sorted out soon i am sure, at the moment hot start, do not use deco valve, pull choke out and in to open throttle ( chain brake on ) dont be afraid to use the purge, and they fire up ok.

I ran 4 tanks through my mates the other day sectioning down and hot starting was great only a few weeks old so I would say its sorted

I love my 550 its a jem to use. I've had a new carb in mine and its been fine since then. One thing i will say about the new 550 and 560 is they do like to be an individual operator saw. Many people playing with them seems to upset the auto tune and you don't get the best out of them

I've never been a fan of the midsize STIHL but i've always had a go with them. The 261 has had a few problems along the way too mainly with the sprocket not being the right size causing crank wear. If you don't catch it in time you need a big expensive rebuild. Last ones i played with were 2014 models and they needed their cranks doing which was under warranty.

I love my 550 its a jem to use. I've had a new carb in mine and its been fine since then. One thing i will say about the new 550 and 560 is they do like to be an individual operator saw. Many people playing with them seems to upset the auto tune and you don't get the best out of them

I've never been a fan of the midsize STIHL but i've always had a go with them. The 261 has had a few problems along the way too mainly with the sprocket not being the right size causing crank wear. If you don't catch it in time you need a big expensive rebuild. Last ones i played with were 2014 models and they needed their cranks doing which was under warranty.

Yh we had 2 of the 261's needing cranks, we put them on the shelf along with 3 x 362s and replaced with A fleet of 560xp's. Only issues we had at first was brake bands and clutch springs, which were re designed. Not bad out of 9 saws.

I have a 346xp to but I tend to always pick up the 560xp.

Those are the saws that I have too. I tend to only really use the 346 if I'm cutting understorey or small coppice these days.

I know someone who runs a 550 with an 18" bar cutting hardwood though, so it will definitely punch above its weight if it needs to.

I've had my 550xpg(named Sequoia) for a month or two now and she's a little beast! I would never want to use an equivalent Stihl saw again that's for sure.. Well, unless they come up with something pretty special in the future.

time has come to get a new saw is the new 5 50 xp better and have they sorted the reliability issues? We shall see ordered a reliable stihl 261 for one lad and boss will be trialling the new 550xp and we will report...

Man I work for refuses to by any saw with electronics on it so we're still on 365xp's for everyday use.