So you want to be a freelance climber do you?

Adam Bourne

I was a subbie climber for 8yrs started at 16 but it ended up turning to my own company so i could do as i wanted, when i wanted and how i wanted to do it for how much money i wanted. This was also due to my back being curved sideways and gives me alot of pain every day i knew i couldnt keep up pace with other subbies so i needed to be the employer eventually. I think most climbers should give it ago at some point you get to work with different firms using different kit and a different style of working everywhere you go which only adds to your knowlage.

Great post and can relate to a lot of it. I've currently hit a quiet period but it's gradually picking up, thankfully I have plenty away for a rainy day so to speak. Being self employed as a subby/trying to start a business isn't easy and certainly isn't for every one but past experiences have put me off being employed ever again so it's the only way forward for me. Not complaining though, I earn well when I'm busy and can always keep my self ticking over in the quiet times and I enjoy the freedoms I have with being self employed, plenty of hobbies to enjoy and some even aid to a bit of cash flow :)

The thing is a free lance climber is natural progression from being a lead climber IMO you don't just come out of college and become a super star climber or what ever as quite a few I've given a chance and regretted seem to think .Maybe there is a few odd acceptions to to that rule but they would be the very few people who have a natural aptitude for the job straight out of basic training and having that natural aptitude is extremely rare no matter how much you want to be a climber..maybe I'm just bitter it seems people now don't have to do all the things I did to get to be a climber such as a long stint as a grounds person and second climber but I honestly think watching as many climbers as possible and been a good groundsman gives you what you need more than any training to be a competent and productive free lance climber... Oh and the image of glen mill bank yelling at you to do star jumps and press ups when your about to do some thing stupid with a saw.... maybe the training was worth it !

With regards to the back issues etc... The industry and equipment is evolving. Use it to your advantage. There is only so quick a climber can cut and hold, right a piece down, free fall or step cut and chuck a piece. Once you get to the point of not being any quicker at said tasks then think about how to do it most efficiently and expend less energy.

SRT for access, it will save in the long run. You don't have to use the SRT for work positioning but just using it to get into the crowns of large trees is better for your body and gives you more energy and mental reserves to get the job done quicker.

Some people seem to be a bit stuck in their ways when it comes to Prussics or blakes etc. a lot of these same guys I know are the ones suffering from injuries.

Maintaining a decent level of health and flexibility will do you wonders in the long run.

Being pretty tall I have a tendency for a bit of back pain. Strangely enough though as soon as I get into a harness the pain usually subsides.

Subbed for loads of companies in the UK and everyone works a little different and taking a little bit from everyone to help bring you on as a climber is awesome. I think if you stay in good health you can sub for a good amount of time. not sure i would want to do it full time for forever but at least climb for as long as is possible.

questions regarding health and length as a climber...

Do you stretch before and after work? and when your watching TV in the evening

Do you do another sport as well as tree work so that its not your only exercise i.e. swimming cycling rock climbing etc etc

do you eat well and sleep what hours you need?

are you up to date with current techniques e.g. srt

maybe a sports massage once a month?

I think subbing is really rewarding mentally when all goes well. :thumbup: