• Labour
    • Conservative
    • Green Party
    • Liberal Democrat
    • UKIP
    • SNP (Scottish National Party)
    • Plaid Cymru (Wales)
    • Not voting.

Looks like Nicola is not as daft as I thought, she does not want fiscal autonomy, she clearly is aware of which side her bread is buttered on :sneaky2::biggrin:

I picked up on that from the Andrew Marr interview this morning too. However anything less than full autonomy will inevitably lead to further resentment south of the border. The plain fact is that for the SNP to deliver on their promises they will need more money than is currently raised in Scotland and unless they have the power to raise that money as they see fit the English will see english taxes being spent on Scottish social spending which will not go down well at all. It would appear that she wants to cherry pick the tax control that she wants and hang on to other aspects of the barnet formula, this will be politically unsustainable. Its either full fiscal autonomy or keep the status quo. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A kinda an aside, when wor Son cut himself with a machete, aged about 5, we took him to the casualty, where he was treated by a very very very black Dr. complete with the Tribal scarring on each cheekbone.

He was clearly better bred than either of us, spoke impeccable English, and probably educated at Harrow or Eaton, and a lovely lovely man, who appeared to be entirely approving of us letting our child play with a machete.

The words in bold? why do you think that would be the case?

Looks like Nicola is not as daft as I thought, she does not want fiscal autonomy, she clearly is aware of which side her bread is buttered on :sneaky2::biggrin:

No doubt the Tories want us to fall flat on our faces, fair enough, but we are Scotland the brave not the. Meek,

England still have unfinished business with us,

Full federalism shouldn't be feared, let's embrace it I want to see England Wales northern Ireland all as federal states.

No doubt the Tories want us to fall flat on our faces, fair enough, but we are Scotland the brave not the. Meek,

Full federalism shouldn't be feared, let's embrace it I want to see England Wales northern Ireland all as federal states.

Scotland the Brave, yada yada yada, Scotland the fierce, yada yada yada YAWN! :thumbdown:

Having just returned from a 2000 mile round trip driving through Scotland, England, France, Belgium and Germany, I'd like to remind the most patriotic of Scots that apart from some fairly spectacular mountains, there isn't anything especially special about Scotland. It's much like most other places, with a generally crapper build environment and more litter. Nationalism is a disease fueled by xenophobia and exploited by those intelligent enough to recognise that. On the 70th anniversary of VE Day and with an aggressive Putin (that hero of Salmond's) utilising Nationalistic fervour to cause suffering to millions, I'd urge people to try to consider the world in a more multilateral sense, rather than struggling to see further than own borders.

Scotland the Brave, yada yada yada, Scotland the fierce, yada yada yada YAWN! :thumbdown:

Having just returned from a 2000 mile round trip driving through Scotland, England, France, Belgium and Germany, I'd like to remind the most patriotic of Scots that apart from some fairly spectacular mountains, there isn't anything especially special about Scotland. It's much like most other places, with a generally crapper build environment and more litter. Nationalism is a disease fueled by xenophobia and exploited by those intelligent enough to recognise that. On the 70th anniversary of VE Day and with an aggressive Putin (that hero of Salmond's) utilising Nationalistic fervour to cause suffering to millions, I'd urge people to try to consider the world in a more multilateral sense, rather than struggling to see further than own borders.

Amen to that :thumbup::thumbup:

The astronauts who have been lucky enough to see our planet from space must think all this stuff is totally bonkers.

Are you Scottish chief or are you a Nigel who now lives here, I'm sorry you view Scotland as such a hole if you dislike the country that much feel free to depart, I love my country I think it's just as good as any other country in the world, and if it's a crime to want to see Scotland shape its own future then guilty as charged.

You always put this country down never accept any criticism of the union . I happen to think the rest of the UK should be independent too.

Edited by gnfencer

Are you Scottish chief or are you a Nigel who now lives here, I'm sorry you view Scotland as such a hole if you dislike the country that much feel free to depart, I love my country I think it's just as good as any other country in the world, and if it's a crime to want to see Scotland shape its own future then guilty as charged.

You always put this country down never accept any criticism of the union . I happen to think the rest of the UK should be independent too.

your vd is running away with you again :laugh1:

Edited by David Humphries
Language

What do you think will change if Scotland is given independence.

Ive spent a lot of time in Scotland working its a beautiful country.

Use to hate the winters waking up frozen to the side of the caravan was never good a good start to the day.

Edited by David Humphries
Language

For once GN we are in total agreement.

You're right about federalism, lets get on with it, the huge SNP vote is not only a mandate for the SNP but its one for Cameron too. Many conservatives, such as John Major, have been arguing for fewer concessions to Scotland, but the size and scale of the SNP vote gives cameron the mandate to give us a full federal system.

Here's hoping...