Law on chainsaws

A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

The building trade are being scrutinised and it may well roll out into other service sectors. Licensed trades do exist in europe and they have been for a number of years, it was introduced to protect the consumer and contractor.

http://www.pyetait.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BIS-Building-Licensing-report-final-Mar14.pdf

Bob

What a BogRoll handling licence? i was going to say i don't believe it But...........

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've said it before and I'll say it again theres plenty of "qualified" chainsaw operators about who should never be given a saw as thier downright dangerous but as they have a ticket to say they were ok on the last day of a 5 day course they can carry on, tickets are'nt worth the paper thier printed on its just another box ticking exercise for the blame culture we now live in, you can teach people how to operate any machine, what you can't teach is common sense.

I've said it before and I'll say it again theres plenty of "qualified" chainsaw operators about who should never be given a saw as thier downright dangerous but as they have a ticket to say they were ok on the last day of a 5 day course they can carry on, tickets are'nt worth the paper thier printed on its just another box ticking exercise for the blame culture we now live in, you can teach people how to operate any machine, what you can't teach is common sense.

Agreed . Nut shell .

No chainsaws! Read the Silky saves the day' thread.

You can still do a really bad jippo cut with a hand saw (or a stolen chain saw) leaving a nice tear down the trunk.

To my mind it's about the customer's awareness of what is what.

How often does a domestic customer ask to see your insurance?

How many ever ask what NPTC is all about?

How many know about any British Standards?

How many ask about your loler inspections?

All many of them know is who quoted the lowest, and whether you left the garden tidy.

You can make laws (if you must), you can try to enforce them (if you can) but I wonder how all the 65 million people will be educated to a standard where they can select a 'professional' tree company.

Let your work and reputation build your business, don't worry about the cowboys, they will eventually give up or maim themselves.

I do not consider them as competitors, they do NOT work the way I do.

AND as for the type of customer who wants to use them - good luck, cos I do not consider them to be the type I want to work for.

Ignore them, rise above them, concentrate on what YOU are doing.

Hopefully the course would teach you to think about what you are doing or about to do. Little use for PPE if you use your common sense and work correctly

I grew up using saws before chain brakes and developed a healthy respect from day one. Having no get out of jail card ie chain brake and ppe focuses your mind and makes you work safer IMO. I do now use PPE and chain brake saws but try to keep the careful work ethic that I started with.

Parhaps the courses should be run with prechain brake saws and the survivors would be reasonably competent by the end.

Hopefully the course would teach you to think about what you are doing or about to do. Little use for PPE if you use your common sense and work correctly

I grew up using saws before chain brakes and developed a healthy respect from day one. Having no get out of jail card ie chain brake and ppe focuses your mind and makes you work safer IMO. I do now use PPE and chain brake saws but try to keep the careful work ethic that I started with.

Parhaps the courses should be run with prechain brake saws and the survivors would be reasonably competent by the end.

I am as you . Perhaps that's one of the reasons I don't use the chain brake . Not a conscious thing just does not register to me to do so .

Me too I was 14 when first started using a saw used to borrow the neighbours old mcculloch with no chain brake and it was used with no ppe barring steel toe cap boots, as you say you very quickly learn respect for the saw and safe working practices with it.