Law on chainsaws

A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

Its not a licence its a certificate of competence

I think your post make this perfectly clear so I dont see why you should have been surprised when you couldn't report someone for not having a licence

I was told it was a legal requirement by the council and the guy who I did the course with. If it isnt, and its unenforceable, plus the insurance company doesnt give a monkees if we have one or not, whats the bloody point of us getting one??

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There is more Fatal accidents caused by in proper use of mobile phones than chainsaws so I think we need to enforce a ticket of competence for them . Lol

Ste

Agree - my mum knows someone doing time for causing fatal crash - investigation found they were texting at exact time.

I got a nice big sliding mitre saw, easily take your hand off, so why not do a week's course at least before being allowed to plug it in?

I was told it was a legal requirement by the council and the guy who I did the course with. If it isnt, and its unenforceable, plus the insurance company doesnt give a monkees if we have one or not, whats the bloody point of us getting one??

Last year I noticed for the first time ......

On my insurance documents in VERY small print it says certificate of competence is required now .

Does not mention any felling tickets but rope access in confined space excluded .

Ste

Edited by IVECOKID

Its not a licence its a certificate of competence

I think your post make this perfectly clear so I dont see why you should have been surprised when you couldn't report someone for not having a licence

Even this is not a legal requirement , its not even required by the HSE. Their take on it is they are happy for someone to use a saw commercially providing they have had formal instruction and training , this can be in house with your own version of a certificate provided. For private use there is no requirement for qualifications or training . The OP`s concerns about saws being purchased by Joe public and being used by cowboys are really only a concern for private customers , if they choose to go for the cheapest quote from a doasyoulikey they probably deserve all they get. The sale of saws to homeowners is perhaps an area of concern and a lot more could be done to ensure they are being safely used prior to walking out of a shop with one . Commercially there is enough legislation in place as is to ensure contractors used are qualified.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb

op gets up from lie-in; has breakfast; looks outside to see what weather's doing..."huh, maybe go for lunch somewhere today?" scratches head a bit; sips tea. Thinks "ooh, i'll just pop onto arbtalk, see what they all think about my licensing idea. Yeah..."

don't worry op - there's still lunch right?:thumbup1:

that's funny :D

Would a far more effective solution not be to simply ban all chainsaws? We could hand our existing kit in under some sort of amnesty. Chainsaws are, after all, so dangerous that anyone using one without certification and a hi-vis is almost certain to kill or maim themselves, and professional users face almost the same level of risk unless clad in armour suits and clutching bundles of risk assessments! :001_rolleyes:

On a serious note, to the OP's question: no, I don't think brining in a mandatory chainsaw license is a good idea, its over-kill and un-necessary government interference.

Im not saying to BAN Chainsaws from everyone. I am trying to find a way in which foresters and arborists trade can be secured.

For example you have the certificates you need to do your job (currently not really needed unless something goes wrong for insurance and hse) and you do a course with the ISA or another organisation and passing that you can then join the organisation (dont know what it could be yet) and then that organisation will educate the public leading to you being called to quote for a tree where the Gardner down the road can not quote 100. Etc

I am not saying it should just only be based off certs but also experience hence ISA course or another equivalent.

And no I dont want to be a politician!

Simply just want to get the arb trade out of the rut its in with the public wanting tree work done as cheaply as possible.

I know this will not be popular for the chainsaw manufacturers but there should be an enforced law so that when you want to buy a chainsaw you have to show valid chainsaw licence for the public to buy small saws like ms181. And to buy professional chainsaws you have to have chainsaw, felling, climbing and aerial tree cutting to buy pro chainsaws. And to buy chains and parts etc you need to show these licences (very easy once the shop knows you) this way cowboys cant buy big/pro saws or arb gear also when kit gets stolen the mugs cant buy chains or spares as they wont have quals. That way when everyone has quals there hopefully wont be so many cowboys? And the trade standard will rise.

Either this or a full on government body to ensure that tree care is set to a high standard maybe the way forward is ISA certs and the government + ISA make a big effort to promote that the public should only use ISA and government approved tree surgeon firms minimising cowboys and raising the value of arboriculture and also help improve the tree quality around places as they will be managed properly.

I may not have said all this the right way but the point is to eliminate cowboys and promote professionalism in the trade.

What are you views and how to get this solved?

stop going on about what other people are doing and just get on with your own work :001_tt2: