Law on chainsaws

A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

The first time I used a chainsaw:

a) Which way does the chain go on?

b) No PPE (apart from a loose fitting helmet with mashed up mesh)

c) Had no idea how to check & use the chain brake (I worked it out, eventually)

d) Very blunt chain - how to sharpen & adjust tension??!

e) Never heard about kickback (but I do remember it happening a few times)

So with all that in mind I went on to fell a tree in my partners front garden. It came down beautifully (the top narrowly missing smashing in the front window, down to pure luck).

I then went to chainsaw through a trunk to the side of the house - but by this stage the chain was so blunt it had no hope of cutting anything. So I gave up on the chainsaw and picked up a blunt axe (which worked better!).... then (with me swinging like a monkey) the trunk came over.... on top of me, and straight over my elbow! Ouch!! .....nothing broken but a lot of pain for a month.

Following doing my CS30 (& with hindsight): I think DIY use of chainsaws is absolutely crazy & there should be much stricter legislation.

I also think training courses (directly related to health & safety) should not be charged VAT.... because the best way to avoid accidents is by education. This would save huge amounts of money at the NHS & Sickness Benefit.

I consider myself lucky.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So 'hobby users' only use 181's?

Many 'hobby users' are owners of large gardens and/or small woods and it surprising how many have 45 or 50cc saws. Would it be fair to stop them having a reasonable size saw?

They cut down small trees, tidy up stray limbs and cut up logs left for them by tree surgeons who have taken down their large trees

They pose no threat to the income the professional tree people, and as most of them have a reasonable IQ, they pose very little threat to their own health.

Using a saw is not exactly the highly skilled task that some would have us believe, sure, it can be dangerous in the wrong hands, but our Sabatier carving knife in the kitchen could be lethal too.

The chef in the local restaurant must hate it that we can carve our own joint and eat at home.

I reckon the paying public have always wanted a job done at the cheapest price. In the past as now, there have always been some who could afford either the best or a higher quote. But more so now, there are many that have a tree/s but have little spare money. So going for a cheaper quote, will always be an option.

The notion that educating the public, as to who is legally able to quote, still supposes, that the customer has the disposable income/savings to go for the higher certed quote. The general public know that they have a vote. But how many actually do vote... in 2010, about 67%.

As to experience - it's like getting your first job after leaving school. You can't get the job without experience and you can't get experience without the job. It's then down to a bunch of pen-pushers, who'll decide who gets the choice jobs and who stays in the 'little league'. Bribery, nepotism and friendship are just a short hop from there.

Yh but when they steal it it cant be used much as parts and consumables will be out of reach, also if you see someone trying to sell a big saw its guaranteed to possibly be stolen for example.

It will take a lot of planning and blah blah to get done but im sure if enough of us got together maybe something can be done?

I do see your point and in an ideal world it would be excellent. I wouldn't stop there though I would do the same for all arb climbing kit, tippers, chippers, grinders etc. But things aren't that bad and it won't stop people stealing more and more of your kit. At the end of the day it doesn't bother me if Joe Bloggs has unqualified people doing their trees. I've been doing this too long to let it bother me.

Im not saying to BAN Chainsaws from everyone. I am trying to find a way in which foresters and arborists trade can be secured.

So that's what you are really all about, protectionism, I guessed as much.

The thing you won't realise, until too late, is that once you get your desired laws you will be signing your own slow demise.

Make laws to protect your industry which drives up costs.

It never ends though, people who don't do the work then work at making more laws in the industry that drive up costs even more.

Large corporations then move in as the small competitors have been removed and do very effective lobbying for even more restrictions on trading until there is no longer any little guy left.

This has happened so often in so many industries that I would have thought most people were aware by now how it works.

I know this will not be popular for the chainsaw manufacturers but there should be an enforced law so that when you want to buy a chainsaw you have to show valid chainsaw licence for the public to buy small saws like ms181. And to buy professional chainsaws you have to have chainsaw, felling, climbing and aerial tree cutting to buy pro chainsaws. And to buy chains and parts etc you need to show these licences (very easy once the shop knows you) this way cowboys cant buy big/pro saws or arb gear also when kit gets stolen the mugs cant buy chains or spares as they wont have quals. That way when everyone has quals there hopefully wont be so many cowboys? And the trade standard will rise.

Either this or a full on government body to ensure that tree care is set to a high standard maybe the way forward is ISA certs and the government + ISA make a big effort to promote that the public should only use ISA and government approved tree surgeon firms minimising cowboys and raising the value of arboriculture and also help improve the tree quality around places as they will be managed properly.

I may not have said all this the right way but the point is to eliminate cowboys and promote professionalism in the trade.

What are you views and how to get this solved?

In your world you would need a toilet roll handling licence before going for a crap. Ffs.

I know this will not be popular for the chainsaw manufacturers but there should be an enforced law so that when you want to buy a chainsaw you have to show valid chainsaw licence for the public to buy small saws like ms181. And to buy professional chainsaws you have to have chainsaw, felling, climbing and aerial tree cutting to buy pro chainsaws. And to buy chains and parts etc you need to show these licences (very easy once the shop knows you) this way cowboys cant buy big/pro saws or arb gear also when kit gets stolen the mugs cant buy chains or spares as they wont have quals. That way when everyone has quals there hopefully wont be so many cowboys? And the trade standard will rise.

Either this or a full on government body to ensure that tree care is set to a high standard maybe the way forward is ISA certs and the government + ISA make a big effort to promote that the public should only use ISA and government approved tree surgeon firms minimising cowboys and raising the value of arboriculture and also help improve the tree quality around places as they will be managed properly.

I may not have said all this the right way but the point is to eliminate cowboys and promote professionalism in the trade.

What are you views and how to get this solved?

Excellent idea if I understand you correctly. I'll set up an ebay store selling chainsaws and all the associated accessories (PPE of course :biggrin:) into the UK from France. I will simply be able to go into my local dealers who have no restrictions, buy the kit to order and mail it on to my UK customers, if I sell at purchase price I can still make 25-30% on the exchange rate alone!!:thumbup: Don't care about after sales service as I am a Cowboy.

Seriously though, the rest of the EU is not like the UK. You can't think this stuff up without taking it through the EU and it has no chance in France - the market for kit sold to home owners with a bit of land is huge, the manufacturers would simply not back it.

In your world you would need a toilet roll handling licence before going for a crap. Ffs.

The building trade are being scrutinised and it may well roll out into other service sectors. Licensed trades do exist in europe and they have been for a number of years, it was introduced to protect the consumer and contractor.

http://www.pyetait.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/BIS-Building-Licensing-report-final-Mar14.pdf

Bob

Simply just want to get the arb trade out of the rut its in with the public wanting tree work done as cheaply as possible.

The public want EVERYTHING done as cheaply as possible, this isn't just about tree work. I'm sure you yourself shop round for the cheapest deal when buying something new right..its no different.