Law on chainsaws

A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simply just want to get the arb trade out of the rut its in with the public wanting tree work done as cheaply as possible.

Have you ever repaired a chainsaw? Or paid someone like spud, me or rich to do so? None of us are qualified to do so, we don't have the expensive paperwork to say we can fix a chainsaw, hedgecutter or strimmer.

But we're cheaper than a dealer, and the outcome is the same!

Have you ever repaired a chainsaw? Or paid someone like spud, me or rich to do so? None of us are qualified to do so, we don't have the expensive paperwork to say we can fix a chainsaw, hedge cutter or strimmer.

But we're cheaper than a dealer, and the outcome is the same!

+1 from me.

The whole training industry (not just Arb) is a self serving cash cow which uses changes to regulations in an attempt to invalidate qualifications - Microsoft & the IEEE for example in other professions.

I once had to show a very highly qualified network administrator how to map a network drive at the command line: net use m: \\server_name\mydrive but hey ho there you go sure he must have covered it somewhere!

Whilst safety & competence are paramount, all the regs in the world wont stop a white flatbed & a couple of shysters who are prepared undercut everyone & fall out of a tree for a few quid less.

Theres no substitute for experience, but in some professions its more about what quals you have than how you apply them.

So, Ive donned my asbestos coat (whoops) as the training police will be getting their flame throwers fuelled up - so long as they have a ticket that is...

N

Edited by NFG

read most of the replys and some good points put forward,i have 35 years expierence with chainsaws and use 1 or 2 evrey working day from a ms 241 to a ms 660 i have all ground based NPTC certificates (all up to date) from cross cutting logs to multiple wind blown i fell trees from 6" to about 5 foot in diameter and have done for many years now, so does this make me a COWBOY as i have not got a climbing certificate ??? there are a lot of things in life that need to be addressed and sorted out but unfortunally it will never happen and buying chainsaws is ONE of them, it sounds to me that you have had a job or two pinched by the traveling com and have a axe to grind. OR DO YOU NEED CLIMBING CERTIFICATE TO BUY ONE OF THEM THESE DAYS.

Ah ha ha ha!

So true.

Here in Frenchy France you need no qualifications to set up as a tree lopper.

The evidence is ALL around me...

Ty

And in France you don't appear to have the equivalent of the HSE? Good? Or, bad? Be interesting to get the view of a French based 'artisan'.

I couldn't agree more there is a gardener/nutter called the eager beaver who lives near me and I repeatedly see him hanging off a ladder with his top handle saw from god knows where, repeatedly butchering trees it's winds me up a treat. What I'm trying to say is yes 100% it needs to be harder for dicks to get pro arb gear. Mind you it wouldn't stop him!!!!