Law on chainsaws

A Pettersen-Firewood&Chip

So some one like me who has been using a saw for at leats 40 years and has PPE every were saws from 12" up to 42" and everything in between , never had an accident never had a problem with a customer . Would I have them all confiscated ? Or maybe bring back hanging ...yea that's it . Hang us all .

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What happened to the old days, you know, mind your own business and live and let live?

I think the original poster is a wanna be politician.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx

How's the governments ban on drugs going? I think that they should win that first before they start banning anything else! Saw a T-shirt with "The Drugs are winning the War"

TOP BANANA REPLY . Im here .

In over 30 years of using a chainsaw my feet have never left the ground so in this brave new world you would want me to cease trading even though I have the relevant qualifications and PPE for the tasks I perform.

I don't remember ever having to show my licence to buy a new car or get spares for it. Not sure what the problem is that you are trying to fix but the original posts reads to me that the OP feels that only identical clones of the OP are good enough to work with a chainsaw.

Let's start again with the problems that need fixing rather than throwing about "fit all" solutions to undefined problems.

Another good reply :thumbup1:

Licensing could lead to serious problems

Door of The Woodman's Arms swings open, and in walks Stretch Hamstring, wearing a very baggy overcoat, hiding something lumpy. Petrol drips slowly from the hem.

There's no light in the bar, except for the dusty window: gas supplies were cut off by Putin in 2017; coal ran out in 2022; what biomass is left only gets burned every other Thursday.

"Hey mate..." Stretch leans over and whispers in Mendip's ear "You wanna buy a...shhh....chainsaw. Hmm? I got a sixty six with three boxes of chipper chain...never touched wood this chain. And I got matching files. Fresh, matching files from the 2010s! You know how hard they are to get? Go on mate, help me out. I'll let you pull it off in the toilets if you like"

"Nah pal, not for me. I just got off a four stretch in Pentonville. Got caught on a ride-on mower doin' a lawn for a bloke up Weston. Turns out he was Old Bill. I ain't goin' back. Ta Jon 'n' that but"

"Suit yourself. But when you need a loan for your next kilo of kindling, don't coming running to me"

Very funny.... thats my sort of humour. Reminds me of George Orwell's 1984.

Totally agree Stubby ,played about with chainsaws since I was a kid on parents farm and it was only 4years ago I decided to make a effort and get some tickets,.

There is hundreds of people like us who have grown up in the industry,too much red tape these days and its been said a million times Tickets/licence don't give you Experience .

Ste

I know this will not be popular for the chainsaw manufacturers but there should be an enforced law so that when you want to buy a chainsaw you have to show valid chainsaw licence for the public to buy small saws like ms181. And to buy professional chainsaws you have to have chainsaw, felling, climbing and aerial tree cutting to buy pro chainsaws. And to buy chains and parts etc you need to show these licences (very easy once the shop knows you) this way cowboys cant buy big/pro saws or arb gear also when kit gets stolen the mugs cant buy chains or spares as they wont have quals. That way when everyone has quals there hopefully wont be so many cowboys? And the trade standard will rise.

Either this or a full on government body to ensure that tree care is set to a high standard maybe the way forward is ISA certs and the government + ISA make a big effort to promote that the public should only use ISA and government approved tree surgeon firms minimising cowboys and raising the value of arboriculture and also help improve the tree quality around places as they will be managed properly.

I may not have said all this the right way but the point is to eliminate cowboys and promote professionalism in the trade.

What are you views and how to get this solved?

This whole thread is based on the false premiss the there such a thing as a "chainsaw licence", the idea of a "Licence" for a chainsaw or for climbing trees is a joke. This is not driving a car!!

If operating a saw "commercially", i.e. in business for money, you should have "proof of competence" this does not need to be the tickets we generally use, but they are in most cases the easiest way of proving competence.

If you are using a saw in a hobby type capacity, cutting your own trees or wood, you need nothing.

Hi,

Sorry but you have the incorrect approach, you're never going to stop cowboys completely - stolen or S/H saws - forged certificates ?

One way perhaps would be to make it illegal to employ anyone who does not have the correct certificates & invalidate any insurance claims when it goes wrong, if it isnt happening already as Ive lost toch with what happens in UK.

N

The problem is stubby if you want to work on any commercial site you already have to have saw tickets.

Fine if you don't do that work but that's pretty restrictive especially if your the bloke who has always done bits to help the parish council out but hse enforcement on risk assessment is getting so enforced on any thing public soon you have to have some training to do any thing Arb or forestry related just to tick the boxes.

This whole thread is based on the false premiss the there such a thing as a "chainsaw licence", the idea of a "Licence" for a chainsaw or for climbing trees is a joke. This is not driving a car!!

If operating a saw "commercially", i.e. in business for money, you should have "proof of competence" this does not need to be the tickets we generally use, but they are in most cases the easiest way of proving competence.

If you are using a saw in a hobby type capacity, cutting your own trees or wood, you need nothing.

Another accurate answer from Huck . Some people think it is law to have a lockable gun cabinet to own a shot gun . You dont but it is a convenient way of keeping it . The law says it must be secure thats all . You could have it leaning up in the corner with a paid minder in front of it all day .