Giving trees as wedding favours.

simsimo

I'd like to do this not not sure the best way to go about it.

The wedding is mid June and I'd need about 60 baby trees in small 5inch pots.

Obviously the cheaper I can do this the better but I'm after some advice on what you think would be the best way to do it.

Is it to late to try planting from seed?

Would it be legal to dig up tiny saplings in woods etc?

Any advice on species would also be great, I was thinking native would be nice but I'm open to suggestions. I guess it would be nice so have something that is fairly recognisable at that size.

cheers

Leyland Cypress.

We need to plan for the future.....

Great idea.

I regularly pull Hornbeam, Oak and Ash whips from beside the paths in our local woods.

Maybe not strictly legal, but a mulcher comes through the verges every year anyway, so I can't see the harm.

I'd hang fire on the ash, like.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

What about a wee packet of seeds, with a note saying how to grow them etc

Many many years ago on a school trip we were all given a wee bag with a handful of scots pine seeds and a bit of paper. I think I may even still have it somewhere (never got round to planting them lol)

I presented everyone with a Oak sapling of English provenance, (grown from acorns I collected at our national arboretum at Westonbirt 2 years previous) at our wedding. Wife potted them in 5cm pots, tied a ribbon round each pot and I printed off a care note of how to look after them. Environmentally friendly and most people planted them out either in their own gardens or elsewhere in the countryside.

We got cell grown oak saplings for our wedding, and just covered over the little root/soil plug and handed them out again with a little thankyou and care note, a few friends every year on our anniversary send a picture of there tree which is quite sweet of them.

Leyland Cypress.

We need to plan for the future.....

Great idea.

I regularly pull Hornbeam, Oak and Ash whips from beside the paths in our local woods.

Maybe not strictly legal, but a mulcher comes through the verges every year anyway, so I can't see the harm.

I'd hang fire on the ash, like.

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

you beat me to it

I cut 120 three inch lengths of two inch diameter yew (could be any wood)from branches. Drilled out the middle of each with a one and a quarter inch flat wood bit mounted in a bench drill, but not right through, leave a base.

Then cut a slot across the top for the name card. There was enough room for four acorns in the hole.(held in place by the card)

Put the mini yew logs on the tables as place markers with instructions to vernalise as well as to send us a Christmas card each year with a photo of their progress!

Took a bit of work but left a good impression!