Van Mud/Winter Tires, Worth it?

leotandoh12

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends what they're going on. I used to have an Isuzu pickup and it didn't matter what tyres you put on, it was still rubbish. Big Nissan pickups seem to have the wrong geometry too. Slid all over the place on wet, grassy hills.

I'm sure the Isuzu was designed by an accountant. Emissions under this, carry so much, so many passengers etc. Didn't do any of it any good - crap is all departments.

I use 215/75.16 vredestein comtrac winter 2s on my transit all year round with no problems. They have a better load rating than the standard road tyres they come with and are exceelent in all conditions. Get over 50,000 miles from a set. Went to forfar in one hit, about 500 miles in summer, tyres were just about warm when i got there, and that was at 70 mph on motorway, and up to gross weight, officer. Never any faster or heavier. Fairly well priced and readily available.

We bought the Octavia in Sept 2010, it came on Turenza tyres, I slid down Drumrammer backwards in the "big sno" we got that autumn.

Switched to Continental winters and climbed the same steep brae with no issue, absolute chalk and cheese, with winter tyres one can drive on icy hard packed snow the same as driving in the wet on std tyres.

Quite remarkable.

I bough a set of steel rims for the winter Contis.

I understand that once one gets to about 3 or 4mm of tread one might as well run the Contis done over the summer months as the tread blocks require sufficient depth to function correctly in snow.

Edited by difflock

I had winter tyres fitted to my Volvo estate, fitted them early November and surmised that I'd play it by ear the following spring regarding swapping them for conventional tyres over the summer but never needed to replace them. Brilliant in ice, snow, slush, wet, everything nasty and sure when the tarmacs nice and warm and dry any damned thing will stick to it!

Would have no hesitation in fitting them as an all year round tyre, in fact as someone pointed out, for the UK they probably ARE the all year round tyre!

We use a set of BFG All Terrain tyres on the Defender through the summer and then in the autumn/winter swap to a set of BFG Mud Terrains.

What is it with bf Goodrich, they are way over priced and I often think folk just buy them for the white writing on the wall,

I work Cooper, they are excellent grip and reasonably priced.

What is it with bf Goodrich, they are way over priced and I often think folk just buy them for the white writing on the wall,

I work Cooper, they are excellent grip and reasonably priced.

Agreed, I reckon Bolams tranny would look cooler with BOLAM wrote on them :biggrin: