What socket set?

Woodworks

I think snapon own most of the quality tool manufacturers , I swear by snapon for workshop use and dont have much else . Everything that has been worn out or broken has been replaced with no quibble by the mobile snapon guy who is in the area every week, one phone call and the man is here with the FREE replacement. How can you fault that ? Expensive yes, inferior not a chance. That said I would not buy it for the lads or put it the truck as a service set.

Bob

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I said at the beginning of this post " snapon , don't compromise " I took a brick out of a dam it seems ! Swinging both ways now ....

Bit like a roller breaking down, you might expect it from a run of the mill car but not one you paid 4 times the norm for.

Some MOD mechanics did a torque to destruction test between snap on and britool.

The clue to the winner is in the names.

Edited by cornish wood burner

That Bahco set its missing to many sizes of socket.No 11,15,18,20,22 and its biggest is 24mm Worth checking the contents before you buy because this set is worse than useless.

Bob

britool expert has all sockets from 8mm to 30mm and then 32mm in half inch, a fine tooth ratchet and a well presented (numbered) case.

i was teng for many years but had too many burst sockets and knackerd ratchets and the boxes fell to bits:thumbdown:

always wanted an Elora set. a friend of mine (retired heavy mechanic) bought an elora set when he was an apprentice and wore out his ratchet last year? he was most disappointed it only did 40 years of heavy abuse!

i just cannot stomach the 1k price tag

DSC_0434.jpg.0c7dc0a2e26a79c6b73347831dcefa2e.jpg

DSC_0435.jpg.ef52fa69485e86e688c3c1fb031bb64e.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just a little update. Went for the Halfords large set and it's been really nice having most tools to hand when I have been out on site.

Now the down side. Doing some maintenance on some of my workshop machinery. Fiddling away adjusting some 13mm nuts that are tucked away in the guts of planner. Something did not feel right as could not see in and rounded the bl..dy nut off. Was a bit surprised as not being particularly forceful. Grabbed another 13mm spanner and it would still grip on the damaged nuts. Had a close look at the Halfords spanner and measured the jaw size with my verniers gauge and the 13mm was 13.25mm. Not a massive amount but enough to make life tricky. Checked the el cheapo 13mm from screwfix and that was 13.1 mm. Went through the whole set and the best are 0.1mm over size and the worst are 0.3mm with most 0.25mm oversize.

A bit disappointed but what did I expect with that many tools for the money :001_rolleyes:

Bahco next time.

• 7 months later...

Having bought the Halfords pro socket and spanner set when it was on special offer, it's OK but I can't say much more than that about it imo, I have a fair bit of Clarke professional socket set gear and that has been abused like mad but still in very good condition, and have proved their worth on worn bolt heads.

I would like Snap-on but have a bad habit of not putting tools away properly when we have a break down in the field and losing them, so would be insane for me to spend too much money on tools.

The only thing I do intend to treat myself to soon is a Snap-on torque wrench as I am sick of inaccurate poor quality one's.