What socket set?

Woodworks

i have used snap on for years,yes its dear but if it breaks they will replace it,sadly snapped a screwdriver,then bust an impact socket,Snap on man came round,who i dread to think how much hes had out of me and my 3 fitters over the years,Sorry mate carnt replace them,you have broken them by being rough with them!!,I will never give these crooks a penny again,And to make it worse,our apprentice bought a burgan half inch ratchet

off ,some bloke in a van traveller type,that broke,and he swapped it no questions asked,and couldnt have been more helpful,Oh can you tell im upset lol:001_smile:

Edited by pike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have Halfords Pro in the car, just in case, although why I carry tools in the car these days is a mystery, have not used them for years.

I have all sorts at work, mostly old 40yr old Draper, 30 yr old Facom and Britool.

A few years ago I was replacing lost sockets with Halfords, just for convenience, but they have now all worn out or broken, so I only replace with Facom now.

I know Halfords replace broken tools from their Pro range, but the point is they should not break. I have never broken my good ones, even in my Ag days when they had serious punishment.

And Halfords stuff just does not 'feel' right to me.

Just my opinion

Mine to !

I still have tools form when I first started taking engines apart (first worn out hand down bike Suzuki 185ts )

It's using common sense if something starts to bend then it's going to break sooner or later !!

Is it a chipper, is it a mower or another broken stump grinder who cares we'll fix it!

I have a fair few tools but the socket set case has disintegrated and I would like a nice(ish) set to take in the van. A good case would be nice. I am not a mechanic so only occasional use but probably used on stubborn stuck nuts and bolts. Noticed a half price set at Halfords but reviews suggest a poor case.

Going back to to OP , I had one of these Teng sets in the back of the truck along with lots of other bigger stuff but it was this little set that did about 75% of the mobile repairs. TENG T3867 67 piece 3/8" DRIVE SOCKET SET (ratchet, sockets & spanners etc) 0058 | eBay

Chuck that on top of a decent 1/2" drive socket set with a breaker bar and a decent roll of spanners and you will be 99% there. The box it came in fell apart after 15 years of constant use and now I can find little or nothing of what used to be in there. The box is really important for spotting whats missing at a glance.

Bob

Hi there Woodworks,

Halfords sockets were good in 1988 when I got mine, but the case broke in '89 when it jumped out of wheelbarrow in a rut! Only one socket (19mm) cracked so far. They all on those clip rails mentioned earlier, all in a metal cantilever box with spanners too.

The ratchet didn't last very long, then it became a handy 1/2" drift.

On subject of ratchets once saw a display case in a pro tool shop, had several almost identical looking 3/8 drive chrome ratchets priced between about £25 and something like over £100, yes this was the snap-on. This bugged me, so I asked for the case to be unlocked and I weighed them all up, spun them a bit, and couldn't work out why anyone would spend the money. But then I noticed that if you held them out in the air by holding the square drive, you could click the snap-on up one and it stayed there exactly when let go, where as the cheaper ones fell back varying amounts (the worst had to move far to click and then fell back more than half way).

When I got home I found that the several ratchets I have all fall into the cheap category!

So, next time you're in a tight spot and can't get the ratchet to click and gain ground, you'll wonder "would a snap-on help here"!?

Cheers, John. (PS I'm still using the crap ones)

U can get cheap ones just look at the tooth count snapon are 80teeth 70 are quite common but most are around 30 personally I like the low tooth count feel more reasured that there engaged and wont let go and hit knuckles

If you want proper quility sahlwhille or gedore are the best

Personally I dislike snapone sockets and prefer them to have the drive end of the socket turned down it makes them fit in some spaces easier

yeah, I hear you, but it wasn't just the tooth count, it was the "slop" in all the machining that made the most difference. Sometimes that slop means you're struggling, when there's no room for a sticky finger in there to take up the slack. You know what I'm saying.

Will look out for those 2 you mentioned, put em to the test if I see them.

Screwfix - although they're six sided and designed for impact wrenches but work just as well with a hand wrench. They fit your nut/bolt exactly. I'm a brute with a wrench and always rounding off the teeth on my other ones. These have never rounded a nut or bolt, never slipped. Best purchase I ever made.

Impact Socket Set 37 Pieces | Air Tools | Screwfix.com

yeah, I hear you, but it wasn't just the tooth count, it was the "slop" in all the machining that made the most difference. Sometimes that slop means you're struggling, when there's no room for a sticky finger in there to take up the slack. You know what I'm saying.

Will look out for those 2 you mentioned, put em to the test if I see them.

there definitely not cheap but are nice tools my main socket set is carolus which is the brudget brand of carolus and in my opinion still puts snapon to shame

for thoose that like quality tools tryn this site PrimeTools.co.uk