Tips for Hedge trimming

samthornton1990

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Use a Henchman platform.

It is a brilliant tool, just expensive.

We use Stihl 81R cutters and sharpen them twice a year.

Read the RHS online guides or buy the book on pruning.

Use a tarp on gravel.

We do monster hedges over here almost every week.

Mostly conifers that have been let go.

Last big one took 5 men 2 days.

Don't be afraid to tell a client that it may be better to fell, grind, replant than to try turning a pigs ear into a silk purse.

At the end of the day, it is all lovely money!

Ty

I have a henchman type set of ladders, yes they cost £400 but I can do hedges quicker and safer so what's the big deal?

Hodge

I generally convince clients to reduce the landi hedge to 6 inches from ground. Plant a laurel. Hate ladders. :001_tt2:

I do the sides first, start at the widest/most overgrown part, cut it back as far as I'm game or the client wants, then I walk backwards sweeping up and then down. I very rarely work forwards, backwards is the key for me. Then do the top, again, start at the highest point, try and stay on the same step of the ladder and keep the trimmer at a predetermined level. I also prefer the short style hedgies, 600mm blades (not on a pole) but pole trimmer becomes very handy sometimes.

It's had to get it perfect first hit, expect to be going over bits again once you've done the hedge. Especially if you're a perfectionist. Always make sure you remind the customer that it's a false economy to wait a year or two years between cuts. 6 months is ideal, quick buzz over, nice dense hedge.

I recommend the Easy-Lift Harness. This product make a really big difference from a production stand point and will lessen the amount of stress and strain for your entire upper torso. H-S also likes the Easy-Lift Harness so much that it has been featured on their web-site. I am very pleased that many members of this site have made the investment not only

by purchasing the Easy-Lift Harness but also making a bigger investment in them selfs from a production and safety standpoint. Is the Easy-Lift Harness worth the money?, you bet.

Here is a better question, are you and your customers worth the investment?

Personally I have actually only had one reoccurring comment from customers about the Easy-Lift Harness, why didn't I buy one sooner.

Working smarter and not harder is more than a slogan. For myself it's a way of life.

See you all in September at the APF. All the best.

Ted.

You know.

easy-lift guy