Improve Your MPG

rovers90

i can get 35 out of my isuzu tf when on motorway runs. living on exmoor their are plenty of hills and bends to negotiate so its more like 30mpg unless i am full of chip and towing the chipper.

with regards to the egr valve. I removed the vacume hose from mine. hopefully it will remain shut with out the vacume. put a small bolt in the hose i removed so it doesnt loose the pressure or lack of

Edited by markieg31

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people recommend adding two stroke oil to the diesel, never tried it but read lots about it.

Just don't use red chainsaw 2stroke as it makes your derv go. RED and we all know what happens when vosa dip your tank and it's RED. Might take a little explaining as a local lad too me found out last year after reading that it would make his landy run quieter.

sent while pretending to do something important on my mobile.

Just don't use red chainsaw 2stroke as it makes your derv go. RED and we all know what happens when vosa dip your tank and it's RED. Might take a little explaining as a local lad too me found out last year after reading that it would make his landy run quieter.

he must have been putting a good bit in to colour a tank of diesel? how much you recon should be used?

It won't take a lot to give it a hint of colour and thats all it'll take for them to think your using a bit on the sly. Chemical test proved what he had in there but is it worth the hassle.

Or just use better quality green two stroke ;)

As far as using two stroke in fuel goes there are varied views on it benefits but this article below sort of puts it into perspective.

Adding 2 Stroke Oil to Diesel

A liter per fill of good old cooking oil is more than adequate and a fraction of the price. As far as more MPG goes its all down to the right foot, the manufacturers mpg figures can be beaten and some times doubled with careful use of the right foot.

Bob

Article below.

Contributor: Stuart Bladon

After 26 years on Autocar magazine, where he was deputy editor, Stuart became a freelance writer in 1981. His interest in economy driving dates from a first attempt at the Mobil Economy Run in 1961 with a Rover 3-litre, and in July 1984 he achieved an entry in The Guinness Book of Records by driving an Audi 100 turbo diesel from Land's End to John o' Groats and back as far as Falkirk without refuelling. Total distance was 1,150.3 miles, at 59.27 mpg. When the record was broken by a Toyota Land Cruiser fitted with an extra fuel tank, he tried again with the later Audi 100 turbo diesel, and retrieved the record by going from John o' Groats to Land's End, and back to Scotland, all on one tankful, 1,338.1 miles at 75.94 mpg. The tank finally ran dry on A74 at the then-little known town of Lockerbie. He also established the world record distance for production car economy, covering 112.01 miles on a single gallon of diesel fuel with a Citroën AX 14DTR. But he claims that his most successful economy drive with a petrol car was in October 1997 with a Mitsubishi Carisma GDI. Flagged away from Earls Court on the opening day of the Motor Show, the Carisma traversed France without refuelling, and then went right across Spain and over the ferry to Tangier. Total length of the London-Morocco journey was 1,658.4 miles, at an average fuel consumption of 65.06 mpg. Total fuel used was 25.49 gallons - less than two tankfuls. Stuart's

experience as a Road Tester began soon after joining Autocar 46 years ago, and included testing a Lamborghini Miura at 172 mph. He drives about 80 different cars a year, averaging a total of 28-30,000 miles, and has been Road Tester for Wessex Wheels from the first issue of the magazine, which has now grown into the web publication Gear Wheels at Welcome to Gear Wheels and Wessex Wheels Motoring Magazine

It won't take a lot to give it a hint of colour and thats all it'll take for them to think your using a bit on the sly. Chemical test proved what he had in there but is it worth the hassle.

Or just use better quality green two stroke ;)

If you use green they will assume you are running on rebate fuel from southern Ireland.