Apprentice troubles

Andymacp

A good trainee will be more interested in the opportunity you are giving them than the money.

If their only interest is in the money they will soon leave to set up on their own once trained, so I'd not be interested in training them.

Yes, but paying next to nothing for an apprentice will put even good ones off, especially when it barely covers their costs

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, but paying next to nothing for an apprentice will put even good ones off, especially when it barely covers their costs

You could say that about any trade, an apprentice is an apprentice, there not wirth a lot until they can do all aspects of the job and get paid accordingly. I have a v good one at the minute, I pay him a bit more as he's 25 not 18 that the scheme was designed for. Too many young lads think there worth good money just because they get out of bed in a morning

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Arbtalk mobile app

A good trainee will be more interested in the opportunity you are giving them than the money.

If their only interest is in the money they will soon leave to set up on their own once trained, so I'd not be interested in training them.

Sky huck is spot on dont spoil young lads they need to love the job to do it when I started out I could of earned more money at Wilson's ag contracting but the tree job was addictive lots to learn and lots of hard work. My younger brother is 18 and looking at different options he's come with me working since he was 15 and he loves the job he's not bothered weather dragging brash, carrying wood or lowering and to be fair I have enjoyed training him and I would train anuther lad if there keen and are willing to work and are not frightened of a shovel or a brush

My Eldest at 18 is an apprentice at an excellent local motorsport garage . He loves the job but struggles to pay his insurance and petrol on his wage . He tops up his monthly earnings delivering logs for me and also working in the local Spar Shop . If they want it they will do anything to make it happen :001_smile:

I have seen kids who are highly academic fail at the most simple of tasks . On the flip side I have seen kids who are considered daft for want of a better word excell at the same tasks ? If they are interested they will succeed :thumbup:

It's a shame that some people (and I don't just think it's young people) don't have more sense.

I really don't think you should be offering more though Andy. If they don't see or appreciate your offer then they aren't the right candidate. There are plenty more young people desperate for work.

To add to some later posts; I am a trainee and I started by buying my own PPE and CS30/31 tickets then I harassed companies until I got an interview (It seems impossible to get a tree surgeon to remember to call you back). I started working for £50 a day for an 8ish hour day and I thought that was fair. I also started doing jobs for family and friends to gain experience.

If they've got tickets £50 a day for a trial period and £65 a day thereafter until you deem they are worth more. If they haven't got tickets put them on a day release college course and pay them apprenticeship wage (£4 an hour or something) it goes up to minimum wage after a year and you will be able to guide their learning from the start. If their not happy with that then they probably aren't committed to the job so much as the pay check. But everyone has different circumstances, and at the end of the day you've got to think, not 'What is an apprentice worth, what should I pay...' but rather "What is that apprentice worth to me?" Then talk to them and work it out. Because you don't want a young person desperate for work to just take the first job that comes along when they aren't really happy with the circumstances and then be looking to move straight away, or worse as soon as you've paid for their tickets!

Currently working with a company who I am on a trial period with and they asked me to invoice them. I don't know what the other lads get paid or what other people in my position would charge. I have several tickets but not a huge amount of experience. In previous jobs (in different industries) my standard rate has been £100 a day, but if I really respected the fact that the company trusted me to value myself and so I invoiced them at £60 a day and I think that £300 a week should be sufficient for anyone with minimal commitments i.e. young people and apprentices

This is all very well, however, I know of many many good trainees who have been headhunted. It is more than just the £££s offered, but a whole package. If that whole package appears more attractive, he/she would be a fool to dismiss it. I was talking to a senior management friend at KierMG (now changed title, again) about this some time back, some companies make part of their business to train up new apprentices, fully aware that they will leave to go on to other companies who do not train. These "training" companies get paid well for putting the trainees through the system, and do not grudge the fact they will go on elsewhere. In my lads case, the company he worked for got tax relief on his training costs, for taking him as an apprentice, they got a sum from the training body as a form of compensation for his down time at the academy, and on succesful passing at the end, a very large lump sum award to the company, in the tens of thousands of £s. This is an incentive to the business to put further apprentices through the system. Ok, my lad did leave, to a much better job with more resposnsiblities, and more money, but he earned his position and had two companies head hunt him directly through the academy. Accepted business practise in the real world. Perhaps we as an industry could learn from other trades.

This is all very well, however, I know of many many good trainees who have been headhunted. It is more than just the £££s offered, but a whole package. If that whole package appears more attractive, he/she would be a fool to dismiss it. I was talking to a senior management friend at KierMG (now changed title, again) about this some time back, some companies make part of their business to train up new apprentices, fully aware that they will leave to go on to other companies who do not train. These "training" companies get paid well for putting the trainees through the system, and do not grudge the fact they will go on elsewhere. In my lads case, the company he worked for got tax relief on his training costs, for taking him as an apprentice, they got a sum from the training body as a form of compensation for his down time at the academy, and on succesful passing at the end, a very large lump sum award to the company, in the tens of thousands of £s. This is an incentive to the business to put further apprentices through the system. Ok, my lad did leave, to a much better job with more resposnsiblities, and more money, but he earned his position and had two companies head hunt him directly through the academy. Accepted business practise in the real world. Perhaps we as an industry could learn from other trades.

Not sure how any of this would apply to me or anyone running a Co my size?:confused1:

This must be the only trade that allows a person to go on a two day course and then loose them into the open with a qualification for something in most cases they know nothing about. This should be a two or three year contractually tied in proper apprenticeship whereby they do their time with an affiliated company, when I say do their time I dont mean a few weeks work experience I mean doing a proper weeks work . Then after a meeting with an assessor to evaluate their performance both in the workplace and with the college should there be any form of qualification awarded. There might be just a tad more loyalty shown to those that have dedicated their time and effort training them before they whimsically jump ship in most cases for a few quid.

Bob

My Eldest at 18 is an apprentice at an excellent local motorsport garage . He loves the job but struggles to pay his insurance and petrol on his wage . He tops up his monthly earnings delivering logs for me and also working in the local Spar Shop . If they want it they will do anything to make it happen :001_smile:

I have seen kids who are highly academic fail at the most simple of tasks . On the flip side I have seen kids who are considered daft for want of a better word excell at the same tasks ? If they are interested they will succeed :thumbup:

That's all good and true, but in this industry the days can be longer than expected, my day averages from 10 to 14 hours, so how would I fit in an extra job if I was an apprentice?

And whilst money isn't the only thing, some bosses you'd rather not work for as a trainee, I often think I'd hate to work for some on here, where as others sound great, and the ones I've met have confirmed my opinions of themselves. So ask yourself, did the trainee who buggered off think you were an ass who paid poor?