Why not burn seasoned soft wood in log burners

cessna

you got a link to this chart on Wilsons site? Thanks. :001_smile:

Forestry Equipment & Machines | Jas P Wilson

Chart seems to have been removed, if you give them a bell I am sure they will e mail you a copy and a copy of a graph they sent out recently showing the differing KW outputs per ton against the Moisture Content.

A

Full marks to those guys,very well put together.

Why don't we all start Emailing Log Burner Suppliers /Installers, asking:-

"Why is it bad to burn seasoned soft wood on log burners,as most Scandinavian countries ,where the wood burner originated, only have softwood forests and so softwood to burn.???

I am certainly going to Email the question, as we all need to try and start to get this myth gradually done away with.It just shows yet again how joe public is so nieve and gullible to the media.

I will be also finding any log burning stove forums to see what is said on them about burning seasoned soft wood.

RUBBISH ..... soft wood is ok for burning give it 20-30 years and that will all there will...... if were lucky i doubt there will be many people who can afford gas !!!! we will be burning anything we can get some of my customers prefer soft wood ... the main market for log burners now is for decoration its kind of a rich persons thing give it a few years when there is no fossil fuel left and it might be a different story

Edited by I-buy-logs

RUBBISH ..... soft wood is ok for burning give it 20-30 years and that will all there will...... if were lucky i doubt there will be many people who can afford gas !!!! we will be burning anything we can get some of my customers prefer soft wood ... the main market for log burners now is for decoration its kind of a rich persons thing give it a few years when there is no fossil fuel left and it might be a different story

:lol: They've been saying that since the 70's :lol:

Full marks to those guys,very well put together.

Too much spin and some strange factoids.

Weight for weight softwoods tend to have slightly higher calorific value for a given moisture content, because of higher lignin and other polyphenolic compounds content. They are less dense, so occupy more space for a given dry weight. This also means they are better insulators which is why they heat up and light quickly.