Why not burn seasoned soft wood in log burners

cessna

I don't burn hardwood, I sell it. I try to sell softwood too but boy oh boy is it a struggle. Hand on heart I have never sold softwood alone, only as half a double load.

I do try the softwood sell but the fear of burning softwood is so ingrained it's proving a very hard nut to crack.

Thank you for all your replies so far. Still waiting for a Stove Supplier to comment,but starting to think we might have a long wait!!!

So seriously , any sensible, realistic suggestions, of how we can make a joint effort, of making inroads to change this situation,about hardwood only to be used in wood burning stoves

Since I switched to exclusively Fir/Pine/Conifer about 8 years ago.

(Once I had cleared the Birch off the Roddens to gain access)

Absolutly no issues, OK a bit more volume to transport to the stove, but it burns hot and clean.

The resin on the hands is bytimes a trifle annoying.

and

Definately no issues with the flue "tarring"

marcus

i burn any softwood but if i want a long slow burn to keep the chill out the house i will stuff the fire to the hilt with any hardwood i can get my hands on if i,am out all day or want an overnight burn its hardwood but find softwood better during the day burns hotter i know it burns quicker but its great for getting the kettle singing for a brew and free hot water for my dishes so yes i prefare softwood or even a mix of say 75% softwood 25% hardwood lasts me hours so not up n down loading the fire sorry ment to say logburner i,e doors etc as i,ve read somewhere softwood spits more so not good for openfires etc

I burn Arb waste in the main which has a large amount of softwood, in fact for 1 year I was burning mainly pine and Leylandii when I had the chimney swept the following year the sweep commented on how clean it was just a fine dusting of ash certainly no tar at all.

I put that down to burning seasoned <20% moisture and at a constant high temp at least 200c, no over night smoldering.

I burn about 8-9 m3 of wood a year and all arb waste,the majority softwood with the odd bit of cherry/apple/oak now and again as said before softwood burns faster but nice for that quick start when you get in :biggrin: