Dual mass flywheel conversion.

Tree Man Tom

My iveco daily is in the garage as we speak having clutch replaced, upon inspection the DMF is knackered, they offered two options, replace like for like or put in a single piece flywheel which also worked out £400 cheaper. I asked for there advice and they said it's been known for crank shafts to snap when using a single piece wheel, anybody had any experience with this?

For what it's worth I'm having a new DMF fitted as I often run fully loaded towing trailer so figured it safest to do it properly.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If youre having a new DMF fitted the question is academic really.

A lot of companies offer Single retro conversions as there is a lot less to go wrong.

I had this done on my 55 transit 3 years ago and it's been fine.

Someone on here suggested that the DMF absorbs some of the 'impact' on clutch release so allowing for other components to be made more flimsy (sorry, lighter).

So it may be that the crank will break with a SMF fitted but that would be a shocking indictment of the vehicle manufacturers' design margins.

I personally think DMFs are only fitted because they can be made, and its a form of in built obsolescence. Manufacturers and service departments will tell you all sorts of things but I'm just a bitter old git. See peoples' references on the 'crap mechanics' thread or whatever it was called.

LTPM - License to print money.

I have had dual mass flywheels replaced on my transit and landrover, the transit did 130000 miles after fitting towing a 2.5 tonne digger with no problems previous to this I was replacing starter motors and fly wheels regularly.

The landrover was done last week it's more noisy in neutral now but the flywheel can't wear out

If youre having a new DMF fitted the question is academic really.

A lot of companies offer Single retro conversions as there is a lot less to go wrong.

I had this done on my 55 transit 3 years ago and it's been fine.

Someone on here suggested that the DMF absorbs some of the 'impact' on clutch release so allowing for other components to be made more flimsy (sorry, lighter).

So it may be that the crank will break with a SMF fitted but that would be a shocking indictment of the vehicle manufacturers' design margins.

I personally think DMFs are only fitted because they can be made, and its a form of in built obsolescence. Manufacturers and service departments will tell you all sorts of things but I'm just a bitter old git. See peoples' references on the 'crap mechanics' thread or whatever it was called.

LTPM - License to print money.

True.. If they are a available we tend to fit solid flywheels,

I was warned off fitting a solid flywheel to my Iveco Daily (3l engine) - apparently Iveco supplied a number of these engines to a bus manufacturer who fitted them with solid flywheels and they subsequently suffered from broken cranks. The 2.8 Iveco engine is apparently fine with the conversion though. I have also heard of a couple of Sprinters snapping their cranks when fitted with solid flywheels, but know of a number of Transits and Navaras that are trouble free on solids. I was told it is partially down to the high torque of the engines and is more of a problem on 4 cylinder than 6 cylinder engines as the individual punch of the cylinders firing causes stresses that are partially absorbed by the dual mass flywheel - the more cylinders the engine has the smoother it runs.