Are modern mechanics crap

Dean Lofthouse

My old man took his mondeo 05 reg into our local garage about 4 times as it wouldn't accelerate. 2 cats a new sensor and £1500 later turned out to be the fuel pump. Some plastic pipe had been left in the tank and was slowly rotting clogging up the fuel pump and they couldn't even get the right fuel pump first time. It seems if they cannot find whats wrong via the computer it cannot be fixed or its going to cost a packet to get it sorted

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand all your gripes about main dealers ect, but, having served my time for Audi and done 6 years as a 'mechanic' I left because I never got the chance to actually fix anything! Just rip a part off chuck a new un on if that doesn't fix it try another part and so on! The reason for this is £££££££ the dealership I worked in charged £100+vat per hour! Therefore if I stopped to spend 5 mins trying to diagnose something if get a bollocking and told to hurry up! So it's not all the mechanics fault they are under daft pressure sometimes

Did my apprenticeship in the early nineties, worked for a small family garage in rural Lincolnshire where we would get anything from the locals pushbikes to workshop filling combine harvestors and all inbetween. Also the boss had a bit of a thing in restoring classic cars. None of the above mentioned had any diagnostics on so it was proper old school mechanicing. Quite a few years later worked for a toyota dealer in Collyweston and it was all plug in to find the fault and to be honest I think it was still quicker to find the fault with some basic tools and some common sense.

Ok two points,

First, modern mechs are fitters as its more cost effective to just replace than rebuild and easier,

Second, modern cars are made for a fitter not a mech, parts are built to just be replaced than fixed.

And yes is computer says no then there is nothing wrong lol

Ok two points,

First, modern mechs are fitters as its more cost effective to just replace than rebuild and easier,

Second, modern cars are made for a fitter not a mech, parts are built to just be replaced than fixed.

And yes is computer says no then there is nothing wrong lol

Yes but surely simple things like battery terminals should always be checked first.

I thought the aa had old school mechanics,but on the 2 occasions they've been out both have been at the younger end of the young generation.

My truck would only click when i turned the key one morning,so after doing the usual checks i called em out,he had a cursory look under the bonnet,rubbed the bumfluff on his chin and asked me which garage would i like him to tow it to.

Daughters 58 plate focus wouldnt catch no matter how long she turned the key,first thing aa boy says after my cheery small talk is "i hate effing fords" , and towed it to garage without checking anything.

Edited by oldwoodcutter
made clearer.