Are modern mechanics crap

Dean Lofthouse

What I dont get is this:-

Say I take a car in with a fault & the dealer said that it needed X to fix it yet when they fitted X it still had the same fault, Why the F do people pay for the part & fitting?

They have failed to fix the fault as presented & fitted a part that was not needed.

they tryed this wi my wife ,!!! wrong move they got holy hell thrown @ them ,then lost a new car sales of her ,what a wk to pick :laugh1:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i jacked my job in as a hgv/plant fitter at one place i worked for >>because when a young fresh faced new transport manager came to be my new boss lol with a book full of how long it should take to fit a gearbox or replace a truck engine etc" & all i had was myself and a young lad to steamclean grease make tea etc and 33 trucks plant cars etc to look after it was questions/meetings all the time why did it take you all afternoon to fit a clutch in a bin wagon ? when it only takes 2.15 hrs to do" in the book etc i loved the job but hated my employers for putting me in this position and after 12.5 Years i jacked because its the same everywhere rush rush much wants more ian,ll do it etc it made me ill and very short fused when i get asked how long will it be or hav,nt you done that yet etc ahhhhh it made me so mad not being able to do a good job rite first time instead of rushing/bodgin jobs etc so i thown the towel in and would never go back to that sort of pressure ever again

We had a lt35 service van which had lost a bit of power it was booked into main dealer and came back with several spureous results and a £70 bill for diagnostic testing. The parts were over 2k and the dealer suggested fitting the cheapest first. I got involved and within 3 minutes offered the suggestion they start by changing the 3 inch rubber inter cooler hose that was plastering the white bulkhead with crap the whooshing noise and 3 inch split were the problem.:thumbup1:

We had a lt35 service van which had lost a bit of power it was booked into main dealer and came back with several spureous results and a £70 bill for diagnostic testing. The parts were over 2k and the dealer suggested fitting the cheapest first. I got involved and within 3 minutes offered the suggestion they start by changing the 3 inch rubber inter cooler hose that was plastering the white bulkhead with crap the whooshing noise and 3 inch split were the problem.:thumbup1:

Its terrible that an expensive main dealer can't diagnose a split hose... They charge a fortune and can't fix a simple fault. Like others have said lots of training and no common sense...! :thumbdown:

i worked in IT for 20 years when i started it was strip down to system boards check them with a multi meter and if a dry joint solder it and put it back in working i was shown how to diagnose faults. and check it if not retrace steps to find out what was causing faults. as years went on it became swappable parts still checked and 99% did not need parts sent fixed it without. at the end the muppets working as so called engineers could not work out what was wrong with printers just fitted the parts sent if it did not fix it some one with less know how ordered more parts. until they called in those of the old school horrors i saw done made me think i need to get out did me a favour and made me redundant. as for garages cars go to a little mechanic who races historic cars knows his stuff truck goes to a relative who fixs plant, its come back like a new truck all the filters changed, stops on steering greased . main dealers as other posts blind them with brilcream from there hair and will pay out. never use a main dealer again.

• 1 month later...

I must admit I do all my own mechanical work (cus I'm tight and broke ! ) but I agree with the statement that most of the dealership "mechanics" are fitters, what they seem to miss is when the computer says lean fuel air mix possible cause MAF sensor instead of looking for other possibilities they just fly in with the screwdriver and new part, then if that don't fix it they stand about scratching their BoXXcks :-) instead of looking for leaks

I swear by the plug in diagnostic OBD units ELM etc £6 off fleabay I have a couple about the place for the wife's and in-laws cars my only real problem is my truck its an 04 L200 just pre obd so no code reader for that unless I want to shell out £1200 for a MUT unit :-(

I think the problem is people expect to much from the diagnostic units they are only a pointer that's the bit people seem to miss the impression is that the computer will tell you whats wrong when in fact it only gives the symptoms and possible causes, the real bonus for me is reading outputs in real time that is one thing that can be a proper godsend

Just rebuilt the engine for the 2nd time on my truck, new head etc god knows how much that would of been in the main stealer's.

For info if you are in the Derbyshire area, Milners 4x4 in Darley Dale are good for Japanese spares they do a filter kit that's air,fuel and 6 liters of oil for about £38, £330 for a built up head for the L200 (they do mail order) saved me some cash over the years :-)

Had misfire and tickover problem for 40,000 miles

Constantly being checked by main agent on the 'computer'

Eventually gave car a 'birthday'

New plugs, leads, dizzy cap, rotor arm, ......problem solved

Bottom line I don't believe it was ever put on computer ........

Just a bunch of jerks .......

Got chainsaw in for repair with similar bunch of jerks at the moment ......

V frustrating

Lets face it electronics dont work with oil water vibration or yts>>> young thick stupid

old schools best i was talking to spuds mate hugo rowena motors this morning on the phone talking about chainsaws how there changing and basically your all doomed with the new electronicy stuff no matter if its a pro saw or a cheapy its in the bag now throw in the scrap bin and buy a new one reliabilty is a thing of the past lol

YOU WILL ALL BE BEGGING TO BORROW A SOLO REX :001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes: