New Scrap Metal laws

chopperpete

Interesting openspaceman. I didn't mention, all transactions should have gone cashless from December 2012

Unless you are "of no fixed abode", i.e. a traveler, in which case you can be paid cash, as you may not have a bank account and to not offer you cash would be discrimination and possibly racist, apparently.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noticed the lack of scrap merchants immediately after the local yard started this policy at the start of the year. We used to get them nearly every day.Was getting hard to remember all the faces especially the no english speaking ones who used to just hand me a card asking for scrap. They even had it laminated bless em.

It was a pain stopping what I was doing and going and telling them there was nothing for them.

They did have there uses and some showed respect so not all bad.

I've got 10 years worth of random scrap metal in the garage and dotted around the garden. Be even more when these sheet old radiators are replaced. I drive a single cab 4x4. Its from my own property, would I be exempted with no scrap license and waste license? Its not like I've collected it anyway.

I've got 10 years worth of random scrap metal in the garage and dotted around the garden. Be even more when these sheet old radiators are replaced. I drive a single cab 4x4. Its from my own property, would I be exempted with no scrap license and waste license? Its not like I've collected it anyway.

It's domestic. So no. With regards to the payment. Emr ask for id and an address (I'm sure they wouldn't notice a fake) then they pay you either by bacs or cheque. You can then go to the next window and turn your cheque into cash for 10%.....

Interesting openspaceman. I didn't mention, all transactions should have gone cashless from December 2012. Anyone paying cash could be prosecuted and lose their licence to trade

Still pay cash down here but you do have to prove who you are and leave your details with them.

Been that way for a while in Kent, a scrappy truck chappy actually showed me his license card last week and we talk at length about the new laws.

The yard nearest to me stopped paying cash about 6 months ago, always had to show id and give address etc anyway. Annoying thing was last time I went the metal price for what they now call 'wee goods' was so low I ended up getting a cheque for £1.70! Now I dont bother and just chuck stuff on my brothers scrap pile.