Overloaded

Stihlben

5 minutes ago, Rough Hewn said:

Correct, it's classified as horticultural.
The rules are even more relaxed.
emoji106.png

Have you a link to where VOSA say tree surgery is the same as horticultural? Surely all gardeners should be allowed to run around on red in 10 ton trucks then too?

Edited by doobin

Have you a link to where VOSA say tree surgery is the same as horticultural? Surely all gardeners should be allowed to run around on red in 10 ton trucks then too?

Ask the dvla,hmrc and vosa.
I did.
When I get a new engine for the transit, I'll be trying to get it hort registered.
Will update what happens.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1

What would be your guesstimate John?
They don’t look particularly dry, either.

Woody Paul hit a note for me earlier.
Modern 3.5 tonners are good for far more than the pathetic legal payload (mine is 650kg depending on weight of dog and groundie), but will comfortably carry, handle and brake correctly with far more (on private estates etc....), so why not up the limit to 4 or 4.5t?

The reason is because people would take the piss more and more, that’s why.
I think Ben Edmonds comes across as a bit preachy sometimes about this sort of stuff, but in fact he’s 100% spot on.
Why should he try and run legit against chancers taking the risk?
Smart roads and motorways with weigh bridges built in are in our near future.

If the law have the bollocks to stop the nomads as well it might be the best thing that ever happens to arb.

As someone once said, O licence can’t be that tough, scaffolders do it.
Got to be a absolute min 200kg each so 400 on pick up which might be OK - just but 18 on trailer would be 3.6t and that trailer at a guess will be 1t....

On the other comment the modern vehicle are definitely better and far more capable of taking the loads but in doing so are a lot heavier so legally can carry less so eventually I'd hoped the limit on a normal licence will go up or that you can do the equivalent of a trailer test and go up to say 5ton without needing everything associated with the current licencing.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

I think Ben Edmonds comes across as a bit preachy sometimes about this sort of stuff, but in fact he’s 100% spot on.

I  don't intend to be preachy... we also run 3.5 ton trucks alongside our 7.5 ton trucks. But if I had the choice (drivers) I wouldnt bother with the 3.5ton trucks.  The 6.5 ton iveco is in a different league from the 3.5 ton. It is more robust, clutches last longer, bigger and your normally legal. The bigger trucks are also way better value on the used market. I would recomend all owner operators do the training and get a bigger truck as you would probably save the cost of the training when purchasing the truck. It was pretty easy to find tidy low mileage 7.5 ton Ivecos for around £12k to £15k. We ended up paying £18.5 to find a decent 3.5 ton isuzu.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, benedmonds said:

But if I had the choice (drivers) I wouldnt bother with the 3.5ton trucks.  

£900 per head (Medical, theory, hazard, driving, CPC mod 2 & CPC mod 4) & every one can have C1 inc 5 years worth of CPC to get them started.

• Like 2

do ya mind me asking what ya do for living?

Sure bud...
IMG_9511.jpg
Or have a look at the: today's milling thread, today's job,advanced chain sharpening etc etc

Or my YouTube channel:
Roughhewnuk

Or my Instagram page
Roughhewnuk

I'm also sponsored by Logosol portable sawmills Panther sawmills

Or through the hundreds of posts I've done on Arbtalk.

I do a mix of subbing and my own work,
Mainly commercial stuff from car parks to construction sites and clearances. I also travel all over the uk subbing to various firms and individuals,
I've worked in small scale forestry,LA,
Emergency rail and utility work,
domestic arb etc
As well as the sawmilling and selling of beautiful oversized British hardwoods.
[emoji106]
  • Like 1