Overloaded

Stihlben

11 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

Only had one real issue with an IWT - 12 foot tipper with cage sides (approx 8m3) full of wet split logs. Down a long bendy hill on the A55 (dual carriageway) it got all out of shape, eventually flipped on its side (lifting the pickup’s back wheels off the floor) and stuffed me into the central reservation.

The whole thing lasted for nearly a mile, and my trousers, the entire seat cushion and half of the carpet got chewed up by my bum-hole (it was absofarkinlutely terrifying!). Fortunately it started snaking far enough before disaster to allow everyone following enough time to hang back and watch the show... 

I’m 100% certain this incident was caused by low tyre pressure in one of the rear tyres (it ended up popped off the rim), possible overloading and too much speed which became impossible to shed.

Other than that one incident (which in no way can be blamed on the trailer, it was entirely driver error) my experiences of the towing behaviour of Ifors is entirely positive, and I have towed a lot of their trailers carrying a lot of weight a lot of miles.

If you load them wrong (basically zero or negative nose weight) then they can snake, but so will any trailer. 

I’ve yet to find another manufacturer who can offer anything comparable that will take abuse and still sell very second hand for strong money either!

I think I remember seeing your photos of that accident. It must have been an awful mile before you eventually came to a stop.

Ifors are built like brick outhouses. I don't think any other trailer will stand up to the abuse they take. But they are veyr basic, and there are much more sophisticated designs out there that tow far better. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Big J said:

Ifors are built like brick outhouses. I don't think any other trailer will stand up to the abuse they take. But they are veyr basic, and there are much more sophisticated designs out there that tow far better. 

Think that why I like them, basic but a good reliable trailer. Yes some of the Brian James and other brands are a bit more fancy but I like the fact that running an Ifor there is many trailer centres around the country that if you had an issue when far from base you could swing in and pick up parts to get yourself going.

Always been taught from a young age (certainly not when I did my trailer license) to get your speed down prior to a descent. Always have room to comfortably / safely accelerate if required. I was overtaken down hill on a dual carriageway this week by a builder in a Ford Ranger with a 16ft flat bed loaded right up with timber. They must of been going 75mph + as I was doing 55-60mph. Modern pick ups can give a false sense of trailer safety.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GA Groundcare said:

Think that why I like them, basic but a good reliable trailer. Yes some of the Brian James and other brands are a bit more fancy but I like the fact that running an Ifor there is many trailer centres around the country that if you had an issue when far from base you could swing in and pick up parts to get yourself going.

Always been taught from a young age (certainly not when I did my trailer license) to get your speed down prior to a descent. Always have room to comfortably / safely accelerate if required. I was overtaken down hill on a dual carriageway this week by a builder in a Ford Ranger with a 16ft flat bed loaded right up with timber. They must of been going 75mph + as I was doing 55-60mph. Modern pick ups can give a false sense of trailer safety.

Very good advice. I've never had to do it on the road, but I did have a loaded timber trailer push me and the tractor down a hill earlier this year (soft ground, mostly leaf mulch) and I'm very grateful that I remembered to accelerate into the slide, rather than panicking and applying brakes.

I've maintained that driving in the UK would generally hugely improve if everyone had to pass a trailer test. That awareness of other road users with larger loads, as well as learning to drive more smoothly and with more anticipation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Big J said:

I've maintained that driving in the UK would generally hugely improve if everyone had to pass a trailer test. That awareness of other road users with larger loads, as well as learning to drive more smoothly and with more anticipation.

You definitely need the latter when towing with a non ABS Defender during winter. 

Edited by GA Groundcare
  • Haha 1

If it wasn't such a minefield I'd be running a mini artic and be much safer on the road. I find it buttock clenching seeing builders towing 3.5 tonne plant trailers behind unladen pick ups. I tow an ifor 3017 behind my land rover hard top that is usually well loaded up and with two tonnes on the trailer stopping on hill ascents is hairy. Would quite like power brakes on it for safety but as its easier to stay legal with it in standard form that's how it'll stay. ?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stere said:

a55 hasn't got  bends apart from pen y clip tunnel?

(or only real gradual ones)

If you can get down Rhuallt hill without using your steering wheel I’d love to see a video of it!

Accelerating out of a snake is all well and good in theory but unless you have unlimited power and unlimited road there is a good chance that it’s just going to end in a faster crash IME.

There is a technique for pulling a snaking trailer straight whereby you time your braking as the trailer pendulums back into line with the tow vehicle (hard enough on the brakes to force the trailer brakes on, but come immediately off them as it passes through the straight line) - unfortunately there is no way of safely practicing this and getting it wrong can make things worse... 

Correct loading and safe speeds are the best way to avoid the issue altogether though. 

Edited by monkeybusiness
  • Like 3

If you can get down Rhuallt hill without using your steering wheel I’d love to see a video of it!  

Accelerating out of a snake is all well and good in theory but unless you have unlimited power and unlimited road there is a good chance that it’s just going to end in a faster crash IME.

There is a technique for pulling a snaking trailer straight whereby you time your braking as the trailer pendulums back into line with the tow vehicle (hard enough on the brakes to force the trailer brakes on, but come immediately off them as it passes through the straight line) - unfortunately there is no way of safely practicing this and getting it wrong can make things worse... 

Correct loading and safe speeds are the best way to avoid the issue altogether though. 

That’s exactly what I did. More by luck than anything else. Looking in the rear view mirror with the Wife screaming and trying to hit the brakes as the trailer got centrally behind us.[emoji3]

I’m really surprised the tyres managed to stay on the rims on the trailer as the back of the Defender was being lifted off the road in sympathy to the trailer movement.

• Like 1