The Land Rover Appreciation Group.

John Hancock

with what mileage on.. most people who buy a landrover defender will not do serious mileage in them..or if they do will suffer with back problems and they'l sell em at 3 yrs old with 100k on the clock with more clonks and rattles than you can shake a stick at..

But when they sell them they make good money.

My advice would be, if you don't like landys don't buy one, if you do,do :001_smile:

or try summin else.. i'll never forget my dads mate about 15 yrs ago who had always had 110 truck cabs for yrs and yrs.. he drove my D reg hilux for half a day. and couldnt believe how good it was off road [he was and still is a game keeper] not long after he bought his first hilux.. a G reg one and is now on his 5th one.... he couldnt believe the diff in drivin..comfort..performance and reliability..

But when they sell them they make good money.

i'm not sayin they dont hold there money well cos they do.. i bought that 57 plate 90 van.. had it 7 months and sold it with 25k more miles on clock for grand more than i payed for it.. after a new clutch... a new gearbox and startin problems.. [2nd new gearbox in its short life]. and only done 40k miles..

the defenders supposed to be and that was the worst.. there all made under the landrover badge and i cant believe they have the front to churn out such unreliable poorly made rubbish.. and i cant believe how anyone can say they'd rather drive round in and maintain say a 2000yr 110 land rover pick up compared with a hilux.. its a no brainer to me and anyone who has owned both has to sgree

Pre puma Defenders were Good, Puma seemed to be where they started to fall apart.

My current defender has 270,000 miles on it and is going well, I've had another TDI LR with 230 odd thousand on it and several with high 100K's on it.

I've owned a hilux (admittedly when they were pre-turbo) and it was useless. Used a 60 reg hilux invincible a reasonable amoutn and wasn't overly impressed.

What works for me is an old defender that I know won't spit it's dummy out on the electrics, and if something does wear out/break/need rplacing, I know it's an easy job and the part will be a fraction of the cost of a Jap part.

I must be an oddball as I don't find Defenders uncomfy - we did just short of 6000 miles in a fortnight in an old TDi and it was fine. For that matter it didn't break down either :lol:

At 6ft 5 and built like a tank I fit in my series 2 comfier than I do my l200.Hiluxs feel flimsy frames bend for fun.For my previous employer we were travelling 200miles daily in a 130 crewcab with four of us in and I still wasn't that uncomfy compared to the navarra,that thing hurts my hips and knees.

My l200 is plauged with electric troubles and as said parts are really not cheap.The land rovers always feel alot more solid than any jap stuff I've had.our series 2 hasn't had a rebuild and it's still Got factory original lump,I've plowed thru 3 engines and boxes in the l200.

After many years away from landrovers I have decided to go back to them, reason being since my f reg landy I have had several hilux's which mostly were bloody good trucks but like most of the european doublecab trucks have been turned into toys imo, I had 4 in total but the last one was on its knees with a worn injection pump (over £1k repair) at 90k miles oh and a new tranfer box when it was 2 weeks old, I have never had another since, then I went to rangers but the new ranger chassis are a joke compare to the older ones and made from rolled coke can, we have a local firm that have actually bent 2 trucks in the middle, my earlier ranger was a decent work horse.

So I have bought a P plate 130 300tdi and I am completely rebuilding it, the engine had 164k miles on it and when I stripped it down it still has the honing marks in the cylinders, one of the reasons I bought it was I am planning several overland trips and the only trucks supported are landrovers, they are just build really solidly.

All manufacturers have "friday trucks" my 1st ranger spent a total of 6 weeks back at the dealers with various problems, but once sorted it was a decent truck.

• 3 weeks later...