One reason I use Aspen

GardenKit

2 hours ago, kcstevens said:

Is the reason why most people like to buy it in 5l bottles because most people that buy it are none pro. Therefore don't use a lot and like it for the shelf life. My local dealer actually said how it's not worth it on a commercial bases... whoops

Yes, to be honest, even though we sell an incredible amount of Aspen I would guess that 80% goes to domestic users and 'one man band' pro users. They love the convenience of the 5 litre cans, and the domestic users far prefer picking up prepacked fuel to trying to fill a can at the pump. Even if we were able to install an aspen pump most buyers would still buy in cans, unless we filled their cans for them which would simply not be cost effective for us.

Your local dealers comments are true up to a point. The profit margin is low compared to most other items we sell. This coupled to the time it takes to explain the benefits to new customers make it almost not worth selling. But once converted, a customer just keeps coming back for more Aspen, which of course gets him in our shop much more often and he seldom leaves without buying something else, or at least having a desire for a shiny new machine. Along with the fact that existing machines start and run so much better on Aspen the customer is now much happier with his kit and our service and so becomes much more loyal than before. Aspen is also a talking point for many customers 'over the fence' and many more word of mouth referrals take place now than in pre Aspen days. 

Even though our profit per can is low, the amount we sell generates just about enough profit to pay the rent on the unit, so we can't grumble. Selling Aspen has totally changed our business fro the better

2 hours ago, kcstevens said:

Also, Is the health benefits all a bit of a fad. Due to the plastic??? Short sighted maybe. Hopefully not

The health benefits of Aspen are real, and directly effect the health of the user on a real time basis, as well as being much better for the environment. The plastic can has no ill effects on the operators health, and as long as its recycled properly has little negative impact on the environment. So most certainly not short sighted IMO.

6 hours ago, GardenKit said:

Yes, to be honest, even though we sell an incredible amount of Aspen I would guess that 80% goes to domestic users and 'one man band' pro users. They love the convenience of the 5 litre cans, and the domestic users far prefer picking up prepacked fuel to trying to fill a can at the pump. Even if we were able to install an aspen pump most buyers would still buy in cans, unless we filled their cans for them which would simply not be cost effective for us.

I suppose I would be regarded as a domestic user and I do like  the convenience of Aspen 2 in 5l cans. However, I've been using a fair bit of Aspen 4 this year and the dealers that stock it are all tucked out of the way. It would be much easier for me if a larger shop, such as B&Q, or even a petrol station stocked it so I could pick it up when I'm out and about, rather than making a special trip.

That wouldn't help independent dealers but I expect it would increase Aspen sales - a tricky one for you Mr Kit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

I suppose I would be regarded as a domestic user and I do like  the convenience of Aspen 2 in 5l cans. However, I've been using a fair bit of Aspen 4 this year and the dealers that stock it are all tucked out of the way. It would be much easier for me if a larger shop, such as B&Q, or even a petrol station stocked it so I could pick it up when I'm out and about, rather than making a special trip.

That wouldn't help independent dealers but I expect it would increase Aspen sales - a tricky one for you Mr Kit.

I can see the sense in your comments re availability Paul, and I daresay it would increase Aspen sales. If it ever goes that way we will have to deal with it, but I tend to think that the more that is sold will only serve to make Aspen the 'go to' fuel for all garden machinery which will benefit our sales too with increased awareness.

I cant see B&Q getting too interested at present though as the market is still too small for the likes of them. 

This thing about a bulk supply could also be looked at in the following context....

In most folks mind "bulk" = a cheeper price. Aspen will never be the "same as pump fuel " and I doubt it will ever be close to the price we have come used to paying for unleaded fuel. Pump fuel just exists in the pump form due to the amount used ,the method of transport and the storage conditions the retailer can give it. 

Many things are sold in container form and the bulk supply just comes down to buying the biggest container or number of containers you can to gain a discount. Who buys wine by the vat after all....the producer bottles it and we get a case or more than 1 case to gain a discount....Normal practice with manny manny things. 

This price situation with Aspen is going to be a grumble regardless of a "Bulk" supply. 

200ltr drum seems like a decent "Bulk" container to me !  

Those who use Aspen are still using it.. "regardless" ..of its higher price and will have there own reasons for doing so, be they commercial or domestic. Like a lot of things , you just can not sell Aspen on price..bulk or otherwise IMO. 

I dont have strong views on using it one way or another other than using it as a lay-up fuel for machines i know will be sitting for months on end without being refueled  or started.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheHungrySquirrel said:

Used some today out subbing and ended up with a banger of a headache. Anyone else find that?

To be honest its normally the opposite. Petrol fumes are well known for causing headaches but Aspen is not. But I suppose headache sufferers can have different 'triggers'.

It might be a little unfair though to blame one headache on Aspen, after all we all suffer headaches at some time for various reasons. Give it another go and let us know.