council competing against us! disgusting!

simonm

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last in first out went out years ago.

The local council made the tractor drivers take an assessment, they used this and absence plus disciplinary records to work out who went.

thats what I was saying about deadwood and being a viable employee, if we all pull our wieght and behave like our job is of value to us and treat the job as though it was OUR firm, when these "streamlining measures" arise we have very little to fear:001_smile:

Some of you on here talk if us council workers dont pay tax or council tax , my comments yesterday were tongue in cheek , thats why i referred to going fishing , the good old days have long gone , cut backs are that hard now you would not believe , we have also had a pay freeze on our wages for the 3rd consecutive year , its all ok by me as long as there are no job cuts , on our department if you cut any more there would be no one left ..I can under stand peoples frustrations about councils under cutting them as you say but in many circumstances i can not see how , take our department every thing is leased so you have to pay for that , you have to pay the gang for doing the job 3 mens wages x £26 an hour , secetarys wage , supervisors wage , managers wage , councillors wage , there are just to many on costs in my opinion ..also if you were any good you should be winning these jobs i sense alot of bitterness of quite a few of you , dont blame the man /woman on the tools blame top brass in the ivory towers , good luck all , be safe .

I agree that the 'good ole days' are gone but I think that you have missed the point that some are trying to make. I worked for a LA and the point that people are trying to make is that should anything go wrong with your contracts such as a lack of income or priced incorrectly and you should find that your income/profit isn't enough to pay the wages/bills then you will be taken back 'in house' so you/me (I will include myself as I also have this luxury) will not be unemployed but just working directly for the LA. It is a safety net that others do not have.

you have to pay the gang for doing the job 3 mens wages x £26 an hour , secetarys wage , supervisors wage , managers wage , councillors wage , there are just to many on costs in my opinion ..also if you were any good you should be winning these jobs i sense alot of bitterness of quite a few of you

Is that £8 or £26 per man hour? If the latter, then with councils paying their monkeys £200/day then there's no way they could compete if they weren't already heavily subsidised by the taxpayer.

I hope (and I'm pretty sure) that by x you mean = ?

guys, there's plenty of trees out there for everyone to work & make a living.

i like working for myself cause i still enjoy the thought of going out & doing tree work, hedge cutting, grass cutting, fencing or whatever i need to.

life's too short to wind yourself up & pull your hair out over work.

make friends & have allies in the industry not enemies, be they private, corporate or council.

guys, there's plenty of trees out there for everyone to work & make a living.

i like working for myself cause i still enjoy the thought of going out & doing tree work, hedge cutting, grass cutting, fencing or whatever i need to.

life's too short to wind yourself up & pull your hair out over work.

make friends & have allies in the industry not enemies, be they private, corporate or council.

Errr I think not or this and many other threads in regards to lack of work wouldnt exist.

Well your partially right there are loads of trees out there.:thumbup:

I think if I found the local LA touting for private work I would soon start to point out any DDD, hazard and complaint trees that they have failed to sort out on their own patch first.

I dont think the general public would be too happy that Mrs Smith is getting her dead tree felled by the LA because the money is coming directly out of her own pocket but Mrs Jones has to live next to a dead LA(and complain for years) because it isnt scheduled to be worked on yet.:sneaky2:

Errr I think not or this and many other threads in regards to lack of work wouldnt exist.

Well your partially right there are loads of trees out there.:thumbup:

I think if I found the local LA touting for private work I would soon start to point out any DDD, hazard and complaint trees that they have failed to sort out on their own patch first.

I dont think the general public would be too happy that Mrs Smith is getting her dead tree felled by the LA because the money is coming directly out of her own pocket but Mrs Jones has to live next to a dead LA(and complain for years) because it isnt scheduled to be worked on yet.:sneaky2:

fair comment

What no mention of gypsie's undercutting. doing a crap job, no tax, no insurance dumping where they can .sometimes intimidating people. The amount of private work la get I can't see as much of a problem

what a rational,well thought out statement.

I met a chap today who spent the first two days of a new job at the council being shown all the best 'skiving spots' by the foreman...he left after a week as he said he couldn't cope with working with such lazy, incompetant people who sucked every once of energy out of him... what a disgrace - where do I download the form to get my council tax money refunded (HA HA!)