I always service my saws after use

predator

i grease mine oregon,s that is the stihls dont have one as far as i know so i just give,m the oil can when i,ve scraped the bar groove out or when i,ve had a chain off flipped the bar etc i just feel i,am giving something back to the bar n chain lol it runs smoother by hand afterwards

and i suppose if grit does get in its being forced back out by the fresh grease nothing ventured nothing gained the holes there to be filled its not there to eat grass lol

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing to consider whether you want to grease the tip or not - I have had a couple of Carlton and Oregon bars come to me without being greased from the factory. This means the first thing that lubricates the nose bearings are metal particles, and tree dust. It takes a while for the bar oil to soak down there as the centrifugal force propels it outwards unless the saw is at idle. So, check the sprockets first before you use them.

Most tips have passages in the races for the grease to come out of if you over grease. Try it. This means that without grease, not only can grime enter from the passage, but also from the tip side. Not greasing at all means instead of grime AND grease, you simply have whatever bar oil finds that passage and mostly grit.

Edited by wyk

Before I got a grease gun for the bar I used to oil it with some EP90 in an oil can. I think it has a provision for lubrication so use it. You don't run your car without oil or grease so why would you run a saw metal to metal ?

You don't, that's why you use chain oil.

I grease the ones with greasing points and not the ones that don't.

I used to take immense pride in my saws when I was just a self employed cutter.

Now I just sigh with resignation as I order another ten chains for my workers to trash....

Two stroke kit is bought new and flogged after a years abuse.

But I love and regularly service my digger and other machines. So I'm not a total animal.

Also inspected a contractor who bought brand new toyota hiluxes .....and never ever opened the bonnet..... Not even for oil top ups......he ran them to 30,000 miles then partexed them ........pity the poor sods who bought them....

I know of an Ag contractor who does similar, but seem to think one of them got to a fairly high milage before they got rid. They're usually quite rough on vehicles so they normally fall to bits before they blow up with him:blushing:

i only started this thread as i was amazed how much crud built up in the bar groove as one day my chain on my 024 was tight as a drum and the saw would,nt move the chain but soon learned to rest the bar & chain on a log and reverse the chain backwards and it freed up straight away i could even move the chain by hand afterwards

i know most of you are in a rush and the jobs not gone as it should etc so it understandable if you can have a spare saw to grab hold of n carry on etc

but as i use mine for reducing arbwaste for myself and 3 others who help with the producing logs for our own use one i share my logs with helps me pick the stuff up and the other 2 own the land i store my wood on but help splitting/petrol and help themselves to my wood pile as and when they want it it works well but i,am the only one to use a chainsaw as you all know ask all sorts questions on here as your all mostly trained experts on & in chainsaw use info etc and as i hav,nt the moneys to throw about at chainsaws i asked do you as i do clean/lube blow out with the airline rub the chain up ready for its next day out etc sorry to ramble on too