Whats the weather like near you?

mendiplogs

3 hours ago, Big J said:

Back to winter again. Had a few inches of snow on Friday and frosts to minus 15 over the weekend. 

The lake refroze in the strangest way too. A friend flew a drone over and it revealed crater like ice circles. Anyone any idea how they've formed? I didn't add the music to the video by the way 😁

How odd.  Do the locals know?  Could it be related to naturally forming spinning ice disks that occur in certain parts?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Squaredy said:

How odd.  Do the locals know?  Could it be related to naturally forming spinning ice disks that occur in certain parts?

59 minutes ago, Bob Morris said:

Perhaps caused by methane escaping from the bottom of the lake? I must admit I have not seen it looking quite like that.

41 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Watched war of the world's at the weekend, so I'll suggest it's exhaust venting from an advanced craft secreted at the lake bottom awaiting the arrival of the mothership.

34 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Another conundrum jonathan have you thought about going on countdown 😏

I really have no idea what's caused them! I've never seen offgassing from the lake at any time, and it was really very still and cold over the weekend when it froze. 

I shall do some research.

7 minutes ago, Big J said:

I really have no idea what's caused them! I've never seen offgassing from the lake at any time, and it was really very still and cold over the weekend when it froze. 

I shall do some research.

Each one appears to have a hole at the center . Looks very much to me like kids or anyone really have been chucking pebbles onto the ice .  Get a couple of decent size pebbles and see if you get the same result Jonathan .

Edited by Stubby
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Each one appears to have a hole at the center . Looks very much to me like kids or anyone really have been chucking pebbles onto the ice .  Get a couple of decent size pebbles and see if you get the same result Jonathan .

They are hundreds of metres from shore and the ice is too thin to walk. First time I've ever seen them here, or indeed anywhere!

• Like 1