Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Six nights in San Fran might be a bit much mate.

You would be better off spending 3 nights and three nights up in the Redwoods.

We really liked Fort Bragg and Ferndale.

Seriously,San Fran might be your thing but unless your a Gay or a Hippy I don't think the City has enough to hold your attention for six nights.

Are you kidding? San Francisco is an awesome city, I live there on and off in the mid 90s, all ways something to do, depends what you are into, lots of live music venus, good restaurants, lots of cool things to visit, lots of walks to go on, then there are the surrounding areas to visit. I ain't gay or a hippy either!! You have just got to get out and explore mate.:)

Are you kidding? San Francisco is an awesome city, I live there on and off in the mid 90s, all ways something to do, depends what you are into, lots of live music venus, good restaurants, lots of cool things to visit, lots of walks to go on, then there are the surrounding areas to visit. I ain't gay or a hippy either!! You have just got to get out and explore mate.:)

Glad to hear that, I was starting to think I'd cocked up. Hoping to spend the time visiting Alcatraz, whale watching, you know, the usual stuff, along with the Redwoods and whatever else we can jam in. Maybe a couple of jazz bars etc.

Glad to hear that, I was starting to think I'd cocked up. Hoping to spend the time visiting Alcatraz, whale watching, you know, the usual stuff, along with the Redwoods and whatever else we can jam in. Maybe a couple of jazz bars etc.

I can recommend Muir woods just outside SF the redwoods are awesome. We visited in Febuary this year got to be one of the must see city's in the world. If you hire a car in the city the parking can be a nightmare

Tony

Photo looking up Hyde st from Union sq

Edited by Tonythetree

Fair enough.

But six days in a City you don't know,vs the Pacific Coast and the Redwood Trees?

Car hire is stupid cheap in the States,accom is reasonable.I'd rather see small town USA,have a few Beers with the locals and see the only living wonders in the World.

I can recommend Muir woods just outside SF the redwoods are awesome. We visited in Febuary this year got to be one of the must see city's in the world. If you hire a car in the city the parking can be a nightmare

Tony

Photo looking up Hyde st from Union sq

Muir Woods is okay, but it's a bit more like a city park experience.

Here's a shot from Avenue of the Giants area. And another from near Crescent City that Gerald Beranek took of me, though that may be too far north for this visit. But Myers Flat is a short drive.

Redwood_GOTwww600.jpg.4f4615766d83ae18414f3fccd132bf73.jpg

BCG_600.jpg.1d172ba6719b4e62657095b9cedbfb9e.jpg

Just reading the Wild Trees by richard preston and I really want to go there,You should read it and you'll get inspired to get out and about to look at them :thumbup1:

Here's Michael Taylor (The Wild Trees) exploring in Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, looking for potential world record Douglas fir in a mixed species part of the redwood forest. Photo where he's centered between redwoods: 5th attachment.

Also, I added two shots of Andrew Joslin, the Illustrator for the book. Just met him for the first time this year, and did a little bushwhacking together, also at Prairie Creek. His wife too, who is in the shot of the huge cathedral tree. Prairie Creek is more or less the Gemstone of all the redwood parks.

BoyesThumb_LBox.jpg.59b60935b77e2dcc281e868d32235551.jpg

Joslin_800.jpg.727b041890a203551edbf5dce78a28ac.jpg

JoslinD_600.jpg.6289320d33cd9c3ada632d09221bd020.jpg

JoslinB_600.jpg.ac4e819c74104148b09a03e2217893bc.jpg

JoslinC_600.jpg.f669138beac6e22e09ad181e912a2a5d.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

I think I've figured it out. mdvaden, those pictures have pretty much sold me. The new plan is to leave the bulk of the gear in our hotel at union square and set off early one day for the giants. Seeing as the san fran accommodation was 6 for the price of five I figured we can spend a few hours driving and then spend the night somewhere in the area and head back the next day. At least it will give me a few decent hours of looking around. I want to head back to the states again anyway to go shark diving and visit some of the other states so might be able to revisit the area again.