Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

@ Taupotreeman

You planning anything cheesy like one of the drive through redwoods? I don't think much of them, but if you felt the urge, the one in Leggett called the Chandelier Tree would be the best looking. The Shrine Tree near Myers Flat is a cracking, leaning thing, with a sign that said 275 feet, but it's real height is around a mere 130 feet.

If you Google Earth Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park, California, USA, you will see that there is a huge prairie at the south end. That's where some of the best trails begin, and where the visitor center is. Elk are common in that open grassy area. The Roosevelt Elk below, were photographed from the parkway. When camping, I drove my steak dinner to the parkway, and ate it sitting in a chair in back of my truck bed, taking photos.

The other photo was another visit, different part of the park.

:001_cool:

Redwood_Elk_600.jpg.af09a231633d696fd484c8a9bfe4fc72.jpg

PCElk600.jpg.13b4ed207b8d911a197f4d3cc2c197f0.jpg

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair I really don't give a monkeys about the weather. For all I care it can hose it down the whole time I'm there; I still intend to enjoy every second of it. The to do list definately includes Alcatraz and a boat trip out on the bay. I'm also keen to go whale watching (why in San Francisco and not just down the road in Kaikoura I don't know) and the trip up to the redwoods is now also on the list. As far as the cheesy drive trip; not sure this is really my cup of tea and I'll have spent long enough in a New Orleans jazz bar somewhere that I'll be keen for some fresh air and a bit of a walk by the time SF rolls around.

As far as Yosemite is concerned; I was really keen in the beginning but the more I see of the area the more it looks like one massive tourist trap. It does look stunning but I'm not sure that I really want to be mixed in with a heap of other tourists. In addition most people recommend spending a few days in Yosemite and as we have already booked and paid for a hotel in SF I'll probably miss it this time around in exchange for heading up to the redwoods and plan better for the next trip ( which I aim to include Canada and Alaska in).

Carlos, don't worry, I think we are taking three cameras and a couple of memory cards so should be at least a couple of decent photos out of it come rain, hail, snow or whatever.

Oh, and no kids. There's no way I could afford this trip if I had kids :001_tongue:

As far as the cheesy drive trip; not sure this is really my cup of tea and I'll have spent long enough in a New Orleans jazz bar somewhere that I'll be keen for some fresh air and a bit of a walk by the time SF rolls around.

BTW ...

When I wrote cheesy drive through, maybe I should have written "drive-through". Wasn't sure if you knew I was just singling-out the 3 certain redwoods with holes cut in the trunks.

One shot below is the one up near Klamath, called the Tour Thru Tree. The other is the Shrine Tree, which I'd almost call a hazard tree if it were in an urban area. There's a cable higher up holding it some.

:001_cool:

Shrine_1.jpg.ea5f3438f037175569ce72fb9e5e2649.jpg

Mario_Dr_Thru600.jpg.a208652a8b074b4f91827ddd420a29b2.jpg

wow , some badboy trees there , my lass has always fancyied sanfran , so looks like an easy arm twist / excuse to go.

worth it just for the expierence alone - im only worried customs will look at me and my dreadlocks and dodgy accent and say 'bend over mr elliott'

some ace trees there , real trees , im amazed at some redwoods round my way , and tbh , they are just seedlings compared to those pics above

I think the early photos are more my cup of tea. An opportunity to actually see and experience the majesty of the trees. It's something I've wanted to do since I was a kid so I'd prefer to spend what little time I have taking a steady walk rather than the more touristy things, if that makes sense.

• 1 month later...
I think the early photos are more my cup of tea. An opportunity to actually see and experience the majesty of the trees.

Not sure if you like old architecture too.

But this historic mansion came to mind this week, because someone by the name of Redwood Coast, on Facebook, linked to an article about it. It's in Eureka, about 2 blocks from the highway. It's owned by a wealthy club: viewing is from the outside, so the slight detour does not really sacrifice seeing the big coast redwoods. The building is called the Carson Mansion, and once belonged to a lumber baron.

Carson_600copy.jpg.6910c26f90e025e343022d018951a10b.jpg

That's kinda scary. Looks like something The Adams Family would rent for a holiday :biggrin:

Check this link out ...

The Creepy Carson | North Coast Journal | Humboldt County

That's the same Carson Mansion adapted.

Hey ... in your avatar, is that the bow of a boat? Because Eureka also has a small waterfront dock area that looks nice on some blue sky days of summer and autumn.

wide_angle_eureka_dock.jpg.1eb9b351ce8a51067080a18aff465a8d.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Now that's definately a freaky house.

Yep, that is the bow of a boat. I think it was once owned by Errol Flyn. It was taken out on Lake Taupo on a beautiful summer day. How does Eureka look in early spring? I have to make sure I don't try to cram so much in that I do nothing properly and everything half hearted. Hoping that if this trip goes well I can organize another in a couple of year's time.

Now that's definately a freaky house.

Yep, that is the bow of a boat. I think it was once owned by Errol Flyn. It was taken out on Lake Taupo on a beautiful summer day. How does Eureka look in early spring? I have to make sure I don't try to cram so much in that I do nothing properly and everything half hearted. Hoping that if this trip goes well I can organize another in a couple of year's time.

Eureka is a small, older town, and is overcast, cloudy or foggy much of the spring time.

Odds are, the Carson Mansion would be the primary sight worth detouring for, because it looks good rain or shine, day or night.

Also, Eureka has a lot of transient activity at night. It's not really a glamorous town by any means for much of it. But a few areas like the historic district are maintained quite nicely.

There is a restaurant that I've heard a lot of good things about, just a few minutes down a road and over a bridge, called the Samoa Cookhouse.

Link > Welcome to the Historic Samoa Cookhouse - Since 1890 on California's North Coast

Haven't eaten there yet.

It may be an option for a meal passing through.