Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

then stop in either Portland or Cannon Beach depending on how much time gets taken up with volcano exploration.

Cannon Beach ... because of the gift shops? Or just to see the ocean?

It is a very nice coastal town. Lots of gift shops.

If the coastline is what's to your liking, the ocean between Brookings (1/2 hour from redwoods) and Gold Beach a half hour up 101 has equally nice coastline. You may even like the Jet Boat tour up the Rogue River out of Gold Beach.

Here's a couple of photos from this last weekend. Watching Elk near Hy. 101 near Prairie Creek, and also autumn in the Avenue of the Giants.

Ave_1_600.jpg.c68ec14bedc30d065c52cb575a8786c6.jpg

Elk_600.jpg.4b9dd98b4f7dcfe5008e1a7e9df8db42.jpg

It's difficult trying to work out where to stop when working from guide books and websites such as trip advisor. A lot of people reckoned Cannon Beach was a nice spot to stay for a night hence part of the plan Mario. It's basically only a stop off but as I say; I'm all ears if anyone has advice on places to stay or see. Obviously the main part of the trip will be to spend a couple of days around the Redwoods so the rest is just for the road trip, apart from a trip to Mt.St.Helens as I'm volcano mad. I've also read back over this thread and will be taking a few pointers with me when I go.

It's difficult trying to work out where to stop when working from guide books and websites such as trip advisor. A lot of people reckoned Cannon Beach was a nice spot to stay for a night hence part of the plan Mario. It's basically only a stop off but as I say; I'm all ears if anyone has advice on places to stay or see. Obviously the main part of the trip will be to spend a couple of days around the Redwoods so the rest is just for the road trip, apart from a trip to Mt.St.Helens as I'm volcano mad. I've also read back over this thread and will be taking a few pointers with me when I go.

Well ... Cannon Beach is a nice town if you pick it. The drive there and back toward Interstate 5 will only burn up about 3 to 4 hours.

You could head down Hy. 101, but that's a pretty slow route, due to the small towns and winding nature of the highway. Wish 101 were next to the ocean all the way down the coastline.

When I head to the coast up at this end of Oregon, Canon Beach is a favorite. I like Ecola State Park next to it also.

Well the idea was to head down from Seattle and stop in Portland overnight. I think the vehicle pick up is about mid-day so should give us enough time to head to Mt St Helens and then down to Portland. We figured on cutting out to the coast and stopping at Cannon Beach or somewhere similar but it depends on what there is to see on the way. It seems only a short journey from Portland to cannon beach so we might carry on but we didn't want to get stuck somewhere with limited accommodation. The main purpose is the redwoods but figured the opportunity to drive part of the Pacific coast was too good to pass up. We have no kids with us and it's purely for a break from the big cities and to see something from ground level rather than from the air.

Mario, your advice is always appreciated, as is anyone elses who has done the trip. The more the merrier and it all helps with the planning. Otherwise it will be a case of just take it day by day.

Well the idea was to head down from Seattle and stop in Portland overnight. I think the vehicle pick up is about mid-day so should give us enough time to head to Mt St Helens and then down to Portland. We figured on cutting out to the coast and stopping at Cannon Beach or somewhere similar but it depends on what there is to see on the way. It seems only a short journey from Portland to cannon beach so we might carry on but we didn't want to get stuck somewhere with limited accommodation. The main purpose is the redwoods but figured the opportunity to drive part of the Pacific coast was too good to pass up. We have no kids with us and it's purely for a break from the big cities and to see something from ground level rather than from the air.

Mario, your advice is always appreciated, as is anyone elses who has done the trip. The more the merrier and it all helps with the planning. Otherwise it will be a case of just take it day by day.

So ... aside from the houses or shops of the two coastal areas, here's a comparison of the north coast near Cannon Beach, and the south coast near Brookings and Gold Beach.

Brookings700.jpg.2e4b5f0a7791633114ab0bf21dceebe8.jpg

ocean-XL.jpg.93c5d7d88bd416103cf461c43fad9e15.jpg

Jet boat that goes up the Rogue River from Gold Beach, Oregon.

There's also a Jet Boat tour place up the Klamath, near the redwoods. But a fishing guide who's friends with the Klamath based boat company, admits the Rogue River tours are the best.

The Rogue's actually a nicer river even though it's not as wide as the Klamath, which is murkier water.

Rogue_jetboat_M_D_Vaden.jpg.77e545ff307604ae850fe7e7bf197a8e.jpg

Nice Mario, thanks for that. I still intend to spend a couple of days around the Redwoods, hiking, photographs etc but I also want to make the most of the trip down without hitting too many of the tourist traps but rather, enjoying what Mother Nature has to offer. A little bit of tranquility sandwiched between Washington DC and SF. Also looking at an outfit that runs day climbs up some of the bigger tree in Oregon (not Redwoods). Some of the scenery down the Pacific Coast looks fantastic and its supposed to be one of the best road trips. Hopefully when I get to SF ill get time to get out to Kings Canyon or similar just to top off the trip.

I was keen to go shark diving with great whites but it's the wrong season. .

you can do it off Gisborne pal -http://www.surfit.co.nz/page5903750.aspx.

Boyd is great -passionate about fish and conservation, would reccommend him anyday.

Enjoy the U.S trip sounds a cracker!

Yeah but if you want the big fish it's either South Africa, South or Western Oz or SF :biggrin: mind you, if push comes to shove Gizzy is only a two and a half hour drive as opposed to several hours sniffing someone else's armpit on a plane :thumbdown:

Can't wait for the US trip but still 6 months to wait.