Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

After a 1pm to 4pm deluge of rain subsided, I went back to Stout Grove, and encountered the photo shoot of a wedding, which apparently had held-off during the rain too.

It rained so much in a few hours, someone noted on my Redwood Forest Facebook page, that Eureka had broken the daily rainfall record.

Wedding_1_600.jpg.1fcb055490decebb288f375cfed54fcb.jpg

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been wanting to visit the Redwoods for years now. I'm going to commit myself and book flights for June/july next year.

But what I need to know is:

If I go for two weeks, how long do i need for the Redwoods and what other places/attractions should i visit whilst in northern California?

What would you recommend that I do for accommodation - hotel, motel, lodge, RV?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ed.

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

I've been wanting to visit the Redwoods for years now. I'm going to commit myself and book flights for June/july next year.

But what I need to know is:

If I go for two weeks, how long do i need for the Redwoods and what other places/attractions should i visit whilst in northern California?

What would you recommend that I do for accommodation - hotel, motel, lodge, RV?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ed.

I'll let Mario do most of the work on this as he knows the area well. We drove down from Seattle and based ourselves in Arcata for a couple of days. A few people said we should have gone to crater lake while we were within easy drive but we didn't get there. If you have a couple of weeks, apparently it is definitely worthwhile.

I followed much of Mario's advice but it depends on what kind of accommodation you prefer. My better half prefers a decent hotel so that's what we aimed for. There's a couple of places up the coast worth a visit and the Best Western Hotel, right on the beach, was a stunning spot at Brookings. From my point of view, it depends what kind of things interest you.

I found both Arcata and Eureka odd but interesting little places. Arcata, once you get used to the number of transients, is actually quite a neat little place. I'd also make time for a wee spell in San Francisco. My favourite US city, it has an odd but appealing charm. Very laid back city but I love the place. Already working on my next trip back there. There's also some fantastic scenery and trees in Oregon. Maybe consider the SF to Seattle drive too?

Although these are not huge, I sure enjoy passing through this stand of Sitka Spruce, entering Jedediah Smith redwoods. There's also lots of nice ones on the drive from Hy. 101 to Gold Bluffs Beach / Fern Canyon.

Didn't get to see these Mario but there were a couple of nice spots north of Cannon's Beach. I'll post photos when I dig them out.

Didn't get to see these Mario but there were a couple of nice spots north of Cannon's Beach. I'll post photos when I dig them out.

Those Sitka Spruce like that can be found pretty much on and off all the way up the coast from the redwoods, through Oregon, Washington, and even into B.C., along the coast.

Cannon Beach area is also a favorite ... the whole stretch of coast north and south of it too for quite some ways.

Redwood on the edge of the bank above Mill Creek, in Jedediah Smith Redwood State Park ..

red_shirt_toned_600.jpg.57784e2d78cef0d91ef19646b7a0e6b1.jpg

.... / snip / ... From my point of view, it depends what kind of things interest you.

I found both Arcata and Eureka odd but interesting little places. Arcata, once you get used to the number of transients, is actually quite a neat little place. I'd also make time for a wee spell in San Francisco. My favourite US city, it has an odd but appealing charm. Very laid back city but I love the place. Already working on my next trip back there. There's also some fantastic scenery and trees in Oregon. Maybe consider the SF to Seattle drive too?

LOL ... we posted so many photos in this one ... had to review to see all that was covered.

Recalling kidding around in another picture thread, thought I'd interject the photo I took of the one gal from Arcata. We also took red dress photos at a spot near the Carson Mansion that I posted earlier.

Redwood_49.jpg

Lotus_8_600_tone.jpg.02e330c2b972c16ff98cc3abb3a47257.jpg

This house ... maybe you saw it ... is also in Eureka, directly across from the Carson Mansion. It's called the Pink Lady. Then the next place is a few blocks away in Eureka too. The 3rd attachment is another "local" of Arcata / Eureka, as is the stack of wood, too.

Redwood_50.jpg

Redwood_48.jpg

59766650594b8_JenII_5_600BW.jpg.ca8c15bf6668f29215a3ee423cb3c484.jpg