Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

Unfortunately we didn't quite make it. Spent more than initially anticipated on getting married in New York so I decided to do the park proper justice and plan another trip over but actully spend a bit of time there rather than just a flying visit. I only got as far as Muir woods, which gave me at least an idea of what is further up the coast.

Get a few Nz arbs together..im keen :thumbup1:

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're serious Adam maybe we could get something going. I reckon you'd need several days to do it justice and I really didn't want to do it on the cheap, drive in and drive out because I was skint. I'd really like to do some exploring etc so maybe with some planning it could be done properly rather than half arsed.

If you're serious Adam maybe we could get something going. I reckon you'd need several days to do it justice and I really didn't want to do it on the cheap, drive in and drive out because I was skint. I'd really like to do some exploring etc so maybe with some planning it could be done properly rather than half arsed.

Yeah i think so,Not sure when but im keen.better than doing on your own anyway,Few bush walks would be cool to.:thumbup1:

• 3 months later...

Okidoki, seeing as I didn't make it to the Redwoods this year I'm heading back early summer next year. This time I've got at least a week to play with and am considering driving from Seattle to San Francisco and taking in the avenue of giants on the way. Ditched the idea of Yosemite due to crowds and costs. Anyone done this road trip, either way, and can give me a heads up on stuff to expect? Cheers to Mario for the advice thus far too.

Okidoki, seeing as I didn't make it to the Redwoods this year I'm heading back early summer next year. This time I've got at least a week to play with and am considering driving from Seattle to San Francisco and taking in the avenue of giants on the way. Ditched the idea of Yosemite due to crowds and costs. Anyone done this road trip, either way, and can give me a heads up on stuff to expect? Cheers to Mario for the advice thus far too.

If you take Interstate 5 from Seattle down to Grants Pass, Oregon, then 199 to Crescent City, for Highway 101, Avenue of the Giants will be right in your path.

But Prairie Creek Redwoods which will come first with an exit onto Drury Parkway near Klamath, is better yet, if you plan to hike. Each park has it's own feel though. I'd do them both.

You may as well include Jedediah Smith redwoods too.

Basically, it's very streamlined. The highways virtually take you on the very edge or right through the best parks with little fuss for directions or navigating.

Two photos from last week. One of a woman in Prairie Creek, the other a couple in Jedediah Smith. And a Roosevelt Elk.

Jen_2_600.jpg.3c9f2e0f9261b3a23a30b9cb3814ae36.jpg

Elk_2_600.jpg.a07b34fc9c0c130660a40e2f781e81be.jpg

Rdwd_6_600.jpg.d7fb205d01acafb496f503efa4436752.jpg

Edited by mdvaden

Mario, how long would you recommend for the drive? I don't actually have fixed time at the moment for anything other than the start of my holiday. Intending to fly to SF then on to New York but from there we have nothing confirmed so we're all good. I'd aimed for five to seven days to do the trip at a leisurely pace as I'd like to take in Mt St Helens on the way. I heard some of the one way car hire costs can be a bit steep so this might be the only limiting factor.

Mario, how long would you recommend for the drive? I don't actually have fixed time at the moment for anything other than the start of my holiday. Intending to fly to SF then on to New York but from there we have nothing confirmed so we're all good. I'd aimed for five to seven days to do the trip at a leisurely pace as I'd like to take in Mt St Helens on the way. I heard some of the one way car hire costs can be a bit steep so this might be the only limiting factor.

Mt. St. Helens will probably take up most of a day going there and back and sightseeing. You might possibly be able to squeeze in some of the Columbia River Gorge between Washington and Oregon for the waterfalls at the historic highway, on the same day. Depends on whether the mount is just a drive through or something a bit longer.

As for the redwoods, once there, you could merely drive through a bunch of the parks in a single day. That would be a tourist version though.

Two days with some hikes would make a lasting impression.

Not sure what else you want to see along the way. Parts of the Oregon coast are nice, but that detour can affect time and distance. I think Oregon has a bit nicer coastline, but northern California would still have some comparable and impressive coastal scenery, right at, and near the redwoods, and then plenty more. So Oregon is not an essential for ocean sights.

For comparison, attached is one Oregon shot, and one photo from Trinidad, California, about 20 minutes south of Prairie Creek redwoods. In either state, the highway is not in view of the ocean at all times, but wanders in and out.

5976614295334_Trinidad_600copy.jpg.b44f9f46a8692f573de79a506e383906.jpg

Neahkahnie_600.jpg.a027ce0ace34f6fe4d21047c4232a255.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well, holiday plans are now pretty much finalised. We have 7 days sandwiched in between a whole heap of other stops to drive from Seattle to San Francisco. Car is booked and we plan to drive out to Mt St Helens on the way from Seattle and then stop in either Portland or Cannon Beach depending on how much time gets taken up with volcano exploration. From there we drive south along the Pacific Coast Highway and down to the Redwoods for a couple of days with possibly a stop off on the way. Going back over previous posts on this thread I'm just working out where I'm going to base myself for two days of exploring. Also hoping to have time left over for a long but worthwhile drive over to Sequoia National Park as I might be able to score myself a climb of a Redwood. We've booked a June trip so plenty of driving hours means we might just be able to cram it all in.

Anyone else that's done part or all of the trip feel free to chip in with places to stay etc :thumbup: