Visiting Redwoods

Taupotreeman

Not sure if anyone can help with this. I have a few days in San Francisco in March and was hoping to get out to see some of the Redwoods. Choices are to take a day trip out to Yosemite or settle for Muir woods. Conflicting info on most of the trip websites I've read so if anyone has done either of these and can pass on any advice it would be appreciated.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I can offer a few tips.

But if this is your first time to see the redwoods, and if you are not sure you are coming back, invest a small sacrifice of getting up very early in the morning and driving north for a few hours.

Get up at 4am, and be at Avenue of the Giants by 8am. Explore all day and drive back, or stay overnight in like Fortuna or Garberville or Myers Flat, and then come back the next day.

Yosemite, or the Giant Sequoia stands around the Sierra Nevada may have enough snow to interfere as late as May. But the coast redwoods work all year, even if it's raining. Hiking is still fine with rain gear, or using an umbrella.

The really big coast redwoods and tall ones are pretty much from Avenue of the Giants near Myers Flat, California, and then around Klamath and Crescent City.

Muir Woods has no redwoods over 260 feet. Even the world record pines we found in Oregon last January are taller than any Muir Woods redwood. But Avenue of the Giants has 300 to 360 foot redwood trees.

Edited by mdvaden

Cheers guys. Unfortunately I've already booked accommodation in San Fran for the whole time we are there but I have no worries about a long day to see the real thing. Do you reckon better to drive myself than try getting a bus or something? Read too many bad things about the day trips out to Yosemite and had just about talked myself out of it so this basically finishes off the idea.

Don't think a bus is the way to go. Rent a car and drive.

Besides, if you decide to try Avenue of the Giants, the bus won't take you to a few places I can give you directions too that are worth checking out. It's all in close proximity.

Even though it's only 20 feet tall, you may find an albino redwood worth seeing. I'd need to PM the directions for that one.

There are lots of good maps. And it's pretty easy to figure out. So you can take care of your own navigation, at least in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

Don't think a bus is the way to go. Rent a car and drive.

Besides, if you decide to try Avenue of the Giants, the bus won't take you to a few places I can give you directions too that are worth checking out. It's all in close proximity.

Even though it's only 20 feet tall, you may find an albino redwood worth seeing. I'd need to PM the directions for that one.

There are lots of good maps. And it's pretty easy to figure out. So you can take care of your own navigation, at least in Humboldt Redwoods State Park.

Looks like I have a bit more planning to do then :thumbup:

'avenue of the giants' is incredible and the pacific coast highway is beautiful to travel along. easily got to from san fran as people have said. id definitely recommend hiring a car and getting there yourself as theres loads of places you'll want to stop and pull in to have a better look. also take the time to get over to alcatraz if you can, really interesting to see it in person. hope you have a good trip whatever you decide!

Trip is already booked. 6 nights New York, 3 nights in New Orleans sitting outside a bar listening to jazz and then 6 nights in San Francisco. I was keen to go shark diving with great whites but it's the wrong season. The Redwoods was a last minute thought as I hadn't even considered that they were close enough to visit until after I'd booked everything :confused1: but now I'm figuring seeing as I'm going to be running around like a blue arsed fly I may aswell try and tie in a visit even if it means several hours of travelling. I checked out all the trips to Yosemite as that seemed to kill a couple of birds with the one stone BUT all the info I've read seems to advise against the tour bus route as most of it is spent on the bus. Hiring a car and driving for however many hours sounds just about feasible for the return of seeing the giants so investigate this avenue I will.

Six nights in San Fran might be a bit much mate.

You would be better off spending 3 nights and three nights up in the Redwoods.

We really liked Fort Bragg and Ferndale.

Seriously,San Fran might be your thing but unless your a Gay or a Hippy I don't think the City has enough to hold your attention for six nights.