starting unimog in cold.

carlos

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your engine is knackered and has low compression easy start is ok. If you have a good engine easy start is the best way to knacker it because it removes material from the top edges of your piston rings. Engines don't get addicted to it the stuff finishes them of then you have no choice but to use it. Does the merc not have a small glow start unit in the inlet manifold. Perkins normally have one with a fuel line attached when the unit packs up they are a pig to start in the frost. I think I have a new spare one in the office for our 525 May be worth drilling and tapping and fitting one.

We had one in Germany with an eberspacher hot air unit that could be diverted into the engine bay and left on a timer. It warmed the engine for a couple of pfenigs worth of diesel, lovely warm motor easy to start, less stress on the battery, starter and suchlike.

It got proper cold in Berlin

The best gadget I have seen for cold starting a diesel is the diesel fired Webasto hot start. Its cut into the heater hose and draws diesel from the tank to warm up the engine via the cooling system. You get a warm engine and heater demist in about five minutes,they have their own timer so it can be preset for when you get to the yard. Its a must have for anyone north of Watford :001_tt2:

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=172820&stc=1&d=1419593238

Webasto_Thermo_Top_Z_lateral.jpg.91323ffacb0256a84d366f008a31bb60.jpg

Edited by aspenarb

mogs with OM352 engines DO NOT have heater plugs, some are fitted with the start pilot system.....which is excatly the same as easy start, in that it is ether based, a SMALL squirt of easy start will fire the engine on the coldest days, if your worried about it knackering your engine, get some spray brake cleaner, its not as aggresive as ether, and since they took the kero base out of wd40, its about the only one that will work, (the OM 362 doesnt have heater plugs either)

The best gadget I have seen for cold starting a diesel is the diesel fired Webasto hot start. Its cut into the heater hose and draws diesel from the tank to warm up the engine via the cooling system. You get a warm engine and heater demist in about five minutes,they have their own timer so it can be preset for when you get to the yard. Its a must have for anyone north of Watford :001_tt2:

Bob

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=172820&stc=1&d=1419593238

HI BOB they had them on DISCO 3 THATS THE ONLY GOOD THINK THEY HAVE :thumbup:THANKS JON :thumbup:

Have you tried car cocaine (that engine start stuff that you squirt into the air intake) ?

It works wonders on my winch (converted swing start dumper)

You get bore wash and lose compression if you use it too often then have to use it all the time. The yard I worked at as a teenager had a van with a Perkins engine that used a can a day to get it going.