I'm getting fat!! HELP!!!

skyhuck

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Im no expert at losing the weight (15 stone plus!) but I do know that there is no such thing as fattening food or dieting food. Alcohol, agreed, thats bad as the calories are useless and get stored as fat. But anything else is ok. The calories in bread, fizzy drinks, chips etc etc. are all the same as those found in salad, but there are more of them.

True some fats are harder to break down than others, and pound for pound fat contains twice as many calories as protein, but ultimatly if you burn all the calories you eat then you can eat anything.

So you put on weight by eating more calories than you burn (this should be measured over a period of months not days) and you can lose weight by burnign more calories than you eat over a long period of time.

If it took 2 years for that stone to creep up on you then it will probably take a year to lose it permanently, anything quicker will not be permanent loss and you are likely to put it back on again.

So, of course you can cut out high calorie foods but its not those foods that make you put on weight, its just the simple fact that more calories in than burned will increase weight, and as mentioned above your metebalism will be slowing down, so you need less calories. But that can be done with less bread and fizzy drinks and alcohol not stoppign those things altogether.

If I am mega busy at work and just eat fish and chips every night and petrol station food then I will lose weight, if I am less busy at work and have time to go shopping and eat sensibly then I will enjoy eating a bit more and put on weight.

I lost a stone one month eating fish and chips and bacon sarnies only, but I mean ONLY, no other snacks cos I was workign too hard. Its the work that burns it off not the healthly lettuce rubbish! Eat whatever you want!!

Look at a lower lipid diet (google it). Eat little and often, so you burn it as you eat it. Fruit is full of sugar as well so perhaps limit that. Portion control. Try raw porridge with yoghurt, I find it lasts alot longer than cooked as it harder to digest. Perhaps get a blood test just in case. Good luck

I was 12.5 stone for most of my adult life.

Since reaching 40 (I'm now 41) I have found my waste line expanding :blushing:.

I am now over 13.5 stone and I feel bloated and unfit:thumbdown:

So its time to take action.

I have aways had a beer or a glass of wine with my evening meal so I've stopped that, now I am only going to drink on the weekend.

I'm swapping chocolate biscuits for more fruit in my lunch box and not have crisps any more.

I have always been very active and have never before had any real issues with my weight, so I would really appreciate any tips on shedding the pounds.

Cheers Dave :001_smile:

Get yourself a shave horse, a drawknife and some large oak butts to split with a sledge and wedges. Now make a load of seven foot five rail gates and the weight will fall off you. Works for me (38).:biggrin:

I just cut out sugar in my tea Dave

If you think about how many brews you have a day and how many teaspoons of sugar you are consuming, you are burning that instead of fat.

I went to 16 stone 6 months ago, now I'm 14

Oh ...and just cut out the inbetween snacking and chocky biscuits at lunch

Oh...and excercising helps but apparently you have to run for 100 miles just to burn 1 pound of fat, it's better and easier not to put it in your gob in the first place

I went from 12 stone to 18 stone in 5 years of company car mega miles, hotel food and chronic fatigue so when I went back to timber I thought my fat days were numbered! Not so! Eating less has a much greater weight loss impact than exercising. Avoid the early morning jog - many have yet to realise that this is very bad for you and research suggests that those dying early of sudden young death (SDS or summat) were early morning aerobic exercisers!

Anyway, as above, replace junk with fruit or meat and no carbs late in the day.

SUGAR - makes your glands squirt insulin straight into the belly (organ surrounding) tissue hence the podge or "one pack"...

Edited by TimberCutterDartmoor

Im no expert at losing the weight (15 stone plus!) but I do know that there is no such thing as fattening food or dieting food. Alcohol, agreed, thats bad as the calories are useless and get stored as fat. But anything else is ok. The calories in bread, fizzy drinks, chips etc etc. are all the same as those found in salad, but there are more of them.

True some fats are harder to break down than others, and pound for pound fat contains twice as many calories as protein, but ultimatly if you burn all the calories you eat then you can eat anything.

So you put on weight by eating more calories than you burn (this should be measured over a period of months not days) and you can lose weight by burnign more calories than you eat over a long period of time.

If it took 2 years for that stone to creep up on you then it will probably take a year to lose it permanently, anything quicker will not be permanent loss and you are likely to put it back on again.

So, of course you can cut out high calorie foods but its not those foods that make you put on weight, its just the simple fact that more calories in than burned will increase weight, and as mentioned above your metebalism will be slowing down, so you need less calories. But that can be done with less bread and fizzy drinks and alcohol not stoppign those things altogether.

If I am mega busy at work and just eat fish and chips every night and petrol station food then I will lose weight, if I am less busy at work and have time to go shopping and eat sensibly then I will enjoy eating a bit more and put on weight.

I lost a stone one month eating fish and chips and bacon sarnies only, but I mean ONLY, no other snacks cos I was workign too hard. Its the work that burns it off not the healthly lettuce rubbish! Eat whatever you want!!

I agree. Excersise is the key:thumbup1:

A mate of mine who managed gyms told me about the metabolism thing. Basically, kick start it with muesli or porridge in the morning which is slow release energy. Then if you feel peckish mid morning eat a load of raw carrot or celery which actually burns calories to digest. Then have a sensible lunch without the vanilla slice will help. And then a normal meal in the eve but try not to eat after 8. This all keeps your metabolism high as much as poss. Your body should be working efficiently too. Ideally we should eat every few hours in small quantities to keep metabolism high.