What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will, you're young, but you're also keen and conscienscous....unlilke the type of youngsters this thread is discussing so dont take it perosnally.:thumbup1:

but in reference to your post.....yes you have to pay the same amount of stuff...ie food, petrol, car insurance....but you cant compare that to someone of older years paying a rent/mortgage and supporting a family.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread I worked for £12 a day all summer and bought my first car with the money I made. Thats how it should be, not expecting everything to be done for you, we seriously need to re-educate some of our youngsters. £30-40 is a shite wage, of course it is, but its working for a shite wage that gives you the drive and determination to get better and earn more. Expecting good money when you have no skills is completely the wrong attitude.:thumbdown:

BTW I know that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, however I still reckon my ideal employee would be me 20 years ago when I cycled a 20 mile round trip to work and worked my nuts off for £12 a day.:sneaky2:

You had a bike!!!! Jees, you don't know how lucky you were..........

Actually I had a car at 17, my mums old marina estate. Paid for it from working tescos and cleaning pubs while doing A' levels (fat lot of good they did me).

Eventually it broke and I couldn't afford to fix it so scrapyard!! Went to work in london and did have a bike.

Came back to glostershire and started tree work on £25 a day, and after a year bought a car (subaru of course). Bought my first house 8 years after starting tree work.

Its the same old story anyone that's any good are either working for themselves or someone else,

these young-uns dont know they are born i got £25 a week as a YTS and gave £20 to my mam for digs, a fiver i had a week so i soon had a second then third job. those that want to work find work and work, the rest sit about the house watching day time TV in there house coat..... like me now :thumbup1:

My mates son has just bought a 1994 1.1 fiesta, first car at 18, Insurance is 1100 a year, only give 350 for the car

Ouch. I didn't realise it was that bad!! Oh well, get a bike!

I've got a feeling I was on my mums insurance while learning, then stayed on it while I had the car to myself but when it ran out (and needed work for mot) I couldn't keep it anymore so it went, so I only paid running costs for the short while I had it.