What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

I kind of agree with everythign said, but one point I'd make is that there are probably plenty of lazy useless lithuanians, polish etc. but they are all still in their country cos they are too lazy to come here and go through the hassles that most have to put up with, language problems are just the start of it I'm sure.

The fact that a lithuaniun guy is here in th efirst place sets him apart from his countrymen at home, and sets him way ahead of our english youth who live at home with mum.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of decent hard workign 21 years olds, its just that have gone to Oz for some decent work, or are doing ski seasons, or whatever.

If we employ local lads then they are the ones that couldn't be bothered to do much else.

If someone said to me that they had a 19 year old son at home, not working, could I give him a job. I'd immediatly think there must be something wrong with him.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of agree with everythign said, but one point I'd make is that there are probably plenty of lazy useless lithuanians, polish etc. but they are all still in their country cos they are too lazy to come here and go through the hassles that most have to put up with, language problems are just the start of it I'm sure.

The fact that a lithuaniun guy is here in th efirst place sets him apart from his countrymen at home, and sets him way ahead of our english youth who live at home with mum.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are plenty of decent hard workign 21 years olds, its just that have gone to Oz for some decent work, or are doing ski seasons, or whatever.

If we employ local lads then they are the ones that couldn't be bothered to do much else.

If someone said to me that they had a 19 year old son at home, not working, could I give him a job. I'd immediatly think there must be something wrong with him.

or a mummies boy lots of them about:lol:

You have a point there Rupe, which supports my theory that the reason the Scots have an insular and chippy outlook and always vote labour is that all the go getter adventurous types left in the 17 and 1800's and made sucesses of themselves in places like Canada and New Zealand, leaving all the stay at home, I'm allright jack, wingy types here to breed the population we have today. I could be shot for saying that of course but it is one explanation for the difference in attitudes between the Scots and the English.:thumbup:

What do you reckon Stevie?:001_smile:

BTW I know that if you pay peanuts you get monkeys, however I still reckon my ideal employee would be me 20 years ago when I cycled a 20 mile round trip to work and worked my nuts off for £12 a day.:sneaky2:

I know that there are guys wanting work on here, who have tickets and experience, I have used a couple of them recently and will be doing again, but what I'd really like is an unskilled youngster who would cost me half as much and could come to the yard each morning. Do a days graft and learn the job, on the tools as it were, No offence to the guys who I do employ but with minimum wage for a 16-18yo at £3.53 I could have two of them for what a guy with tickets costs. Why pay a climber to drag brash?

£3.53ph for doing heavy manual work? Come on mate don't you think that's borderline slave labour! Youngsters still have to pay modern prices just like everyone else, and you try paying a 17 year olds car insurance alone on that money (which works out to less than £30 on an average 8 hour day).

£3.53ph for doing heavy manual work? Come on mate don't you think that's borderline slave labour! Youngsters still have to pay modern prices just like everyone else, and you try paying a 17 year olds car insurance alone on that money (which works out to less than £30 on an average 8 hour day).

oh ok, we'll pay 17 year olds with little experience 500 a week then, to help with their car insurance :001_rolleyes:

£3.53 is about right. A kid with no experience, only has to turn up with his pack up and nothing else, get stuck in and work his way up the ladder until he's good enough to warrant more money. Then and only then might be able to afford a car. Mate you sound like it's a god given right to be driving at seventeen, no it's something you work hard for like everything else in life.