What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

Times have changed. I remember my first ever job, the first Monday after leaving school I started at a builders merchant. I'll never forget my legs buckling from under me when the cement delivery came in, 110Ib bag on your shoulder off the back of a flatbed truck. Everyone laughed which made me so determined to prove to them that I could do it. They did'nt laugh for long, I soon proved I was worth having around.

I'm embarrased at English kids today. Me n Plippy asked Vitali what he thought of young English workers.....He just started laughing.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its the attitude of under 21's that really gets me, A guy very local to me that i sub too has just took on a 19 year old lad, proper useless, Last time i worked with him, I asked him to get the rake off the van and rake up the front while ill took a stump down in the back "why me??" he said "because ive just told you to, thats why" then off he goes huffing/puffing and muttering under his breath, Little dick heads got it coming to him, if he carrys that on!!!

Its the attitude of under 21's that really gets me, A guy very local to me that i sub too has just took on a 19 year old lad, proper useless, Last time i worked with him, I asked him to get the rake off the van and rake up the front while ill took a stump down in the back "why me??" he said "because ive just told you to, thats why" then off he goes huffing/puffing and muttering under his breath, Little dick heads got it coming to him, if he carrys that on!!!

Yeah I hate that kind of attitude. Few guys I was foreman too a while ago were like that and ended up in blows as my rage just built.

Im really lucky now as have got a young lad just out of school and he is awesome. Really hard worker, good attitude and I have to say that at just 16 I am envious of where he is going to end up.

I have always been a hard worker but when I did start off in tree work I did piss about a little bit now and again. I just cant get over his work ethic, even when im up the tree working away and glance down he is always looking for work, dragging brash, raking, chipping etc....amazing. He even went out of his way to get a chainsaw ticket and his own saw over xmas! I really want to keep him and tbh am paying him very well for it but I think he could rise up the ladder quickly and might only get a few years before he wants to start himself!

i have always been brought up to work really hard by my dad any day of was spent with him since i was 5 and even then i was expected to help in some way and was always told i'd get a thick ear or no dinner if i didn't and even though it would never happen i still helped doing little jobs like fetching nuts and bolts

my friends know i am going to college next year i get so much ridicule for wanting to do a practical job and not become a music director or artist

one guy i know is persistant that anyone can drive machines or work hard

but i know that he would be utterly hopeless and lazy

then he says that i should not be trusted with the machines at work even though i have been driving them since i was 5 and that if he did the job he could be trusted with them and do a better job

and this caomes from loads of people

they don't think these jobs take skill and practice and some of it natural talent

coupled with the fact i have to sit through atleast 2 assemblys a week telling me you arn't worth anything if you don't have a gap year then spend one day a week at university until your 23

IME its the ones who have been brought up by scrounger parents, they see them getting a roof over there head and a giro every week for doing nowt.

Besides I think alot of people think tree work is a nice cushy job with loads of pay. Seen a few wanna be tree heros but as soon as they realise theres a bit more to it than climbing trees(like they did as a kid!) then they soon change there minds.

It does seem that a lot of foreigners do work really hard for there money though.

that would be the last day he'd be working for me thats for sure!

Woahhh steady on guys! I'm 20 years old and working for a landscaping company. Desperately trying to get into tree work, bought all my own PPE and cs30/31 tickets. Willing to travel and I'd bite someones arm off at the opportunity for tree work!

The trouble I've found is the lack of opportunites for people like myself to get into the trade, but I can understand it, given the opportunity why take on someone without experience if you don't have to.

If I could get at least 1 or 2 days a week guarenteed work with someone, then I would quit my job tomorrow and try to get by doing landscape work privately for the rest of the week.

We ain't all playstation addicts :001_tongue:

personally i think no young uns can get any where unless plenty of beasting and abuse is given out to them,unfortunietly in are politically correct world treating people like this is no longer aceptable but as mick said when there are a load of older gangers laughing at you it just wants to make you prove them wrong!I had the same experience and grew up with it ,made me really want to prove them all wrong and show you really can work!