What's going on!!

Mick Stockbridge

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will impressed me on his 1st day, which I'll add he was willing to turn up for nothing just to have a looksee. He mucked in all day, so I paid him out of my own pocket, as I hadnt priced the job for a 3rd man. This chap has paid for his own tickets, and his own PPE so he can further himself, and this deserves credit in this day and age. On the 2nd day I paid him fair and square as he earned it. I have recommended him to someone else, who has had him in for the day, and if anyone else wants someone who is keen and hardworking, then Will is your man, if its in the Suffolk area.

Its difficult for youngsters like Will, they try improve their lot, but few are willing to give them the chance. Oh and he certainly doesnt come across as arrogant, in any way.

lifes tuff, the end!

my first car was £350 and the insurance was £650. i bought my first bmx for£70. it took me under a year when i was 10, my parents wouldnt buy me one so i bought my own, i was in charge of clothing myself since the age of 10. Get off your arse and work, simples. when my pals were playing, i was working, when they were spending their xmas and bday money i was saving it, could go and and on, but its only graft. i love it

Interesting thread. I think that the ability to do a days manual work is a vital part of a young mans life. Too many people sit on their arses all day in offices etc and have no experience of physical work. I've got 3 teenage boys, when I get the chance, I take them on site and make them work their nuts off. I pay them well and they appreciate the value of 'earning' money, not just getting it given to them for nothing. This is a fundemental flaw in our country today, people (and not just kids), expect things for nothing!:sneaky2:

I've got 3 teenage boys, when I get the chance, I take them on site and make them work their nuts off. I pay them nothing and they hate me.:sneaky2:

Sod that for a laugh.....having windsor davis as an old man:thumbdown:

Some good points on here, from both sides.

A 19 year old lad who works for me 2/3 days a week on average is all graft.

He's self employed and grounds for another local arb and me, and has paid his own way up to CS38. He'll do OK.

Most other lads who hassle me for work (which I don't give them) say they want a 'oner' a day, and think they deserve a Rangey Sport at 21. They won't. Ever.

Most important thing to a young wannabe is PUT YOUR F***ING PHONE AWAY UNTIL YOU ARE NOT BEING PAID BY ME ANYMORE.

Both of my boys have come and worked with me, and enjoyed it, the youngest is a mechanic and even he said the other guys wouldnt be able to stick the hard pace we work at! I think he was actually chuffed to have lasted a few days with his old man, and realised what the job really entails (bacon, sausages, curry and naans) Mostly the teamwork and camaraderie and bull and feeling like you've actually earned your days money than just putting your time in.

When dealing with youngsters I think its useful to give them ways to be valid, in that the way it is now is what he will see and do, and he has to be able to have the today experience be valid. A youngster can’t go back 30 years and work for £1 an hour, or experience how it was then.

The treework environment is full of peer pressure, and can be fast and furious.

Youngsters need a bit of direction till they get the idea of the way you like things done. They can appear useless when they are just lost and nervous, and needing to feel that they have done something right.

How about a bit of motivation too, allow them to see past the brash dragging to the more interesting parts of the job. Remember its all new to them so you have a responsibility to guide them, your’e getting them cheap so you owe them the effort.

Remember somebody helped you once, about 25 years ago, now its payback time

Cheers for that Andy. I never discuss pay before I work for someone, just turn up and work hard and let them decide what they feel I'm worth. If people take the mick, then just don't work for them again lol simples :P.

I would agree totally with you paul, as a new guy I've had the odd moment where I've not really known what to do or I've accidently stood in the way. Makes you feel a bit silly but I'm sure it will happen less and less with experience. I always just try to keep busy, even if its just by filling up a saw that's not currently in use.

If I did come across as being slightly arrogant, I didn't mean it so I apologise if anyone took offence.