Im doing a health and safety course, and a topic Im looking into is the advantage of wearing chin straps on safety helmets (not just arb)

Treemover

I have a couple of questions?

Is price an issue? Chin straps are no more than 8 quid, even less, and as helmets are made by only a handful of companies; its easy add them on.

Does anyone find chinstraps actually make the helmet sit better? Even if not done up tight? My own take is that the weight of the straps and friction along our ears and sides of face help reduce slippage and movement??

Does anyone find chinstraps, uncomfortable? Annoying? just too much faffing?

Any other thoughts or feedback is welcome

Being from a rock climbing background before getting into arb, I see chinstraps as essential due to the possibility of doing anything inverted (great fun, looks cool, why wouldn't you), I think anyone who finds them uncomfortable and faffy to be a big bag of whinges.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Rich Rule said:

Chinstrap: a handy place for a whistle.  

I know the kind of buckle of which you speak, often on the chest strap of hiking or mountaineering rucksacks. I've never seen one on a helmet though, that's an interesting idea, as a last resort method for attracting attention to yourself.

I've always worn chin straps. Never even considered not doing so as they're not at all UNcomfortable. They help a lot to keep the helmet secure so win win in my eyes.

Edited by sime42
cheers stubby
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I've always worn chin straps. Never even considered not doing so as they're not at all comfortable. They help a lot to keep the helmet secure so win win in my eyes.

So . Not at all comfortable , but being a hero you still wear one . Hats off to you ( deliberate pun ) 😀

• Haha 2