sheet bend 

Bowline 

half hitch

timber hitch 

Truckers hitch 

VT 

fisherman’s 

alpine butterfly 

I don’t use anything else really although at some point I’d like to learn a reliable ways to tie alternative to a timber hitch in rigging for the block installation but if it ain’t broke it’s hard to motivate to try! Any recommendations? 

you could try the cow hitch

• Like 2

There's always a slightly better knot for each situation, but the differences are slight. I'd use

Zeppelin - joiing 2 ropes securely

Reef - joining 2 ropes lightly

Sheet bend - joining 2 ropes of different diameter

Alpine butterfly - midline, takes pull in any of 3 directions

Swabian for climbing line.

Prussik or klemheist for shunting

Tautline or Blakes for emergency extra tie-in

Marlin hitch for sending stuff up.

Bowline for almost everything

Double figure of 8 for permanent end of lowering rope.

Clove hitch for all sorts but not if getting pulled hard. Great for sending combi-spanner up a tree.

Highwaymans hitch for quick release of any rope that has to be tied out of the way for a few minutes.

Anchor hitch for krab on end of rope.

Fishermans for same. And as stopper knot. Double fishermans for making up loops.

Water knot for slings from tape.

Italian (munter) hitch for impromptu descents or lowering.

Round turn anad 2 half hitches for tieing off to stem

Girth hitch for lowering.

Didn't realise I use so many.

I read a study somewhere that tested each knot for its effect on loss of rope strength. Bowline came in at 65% ish.  But easier to untie after loading. Double figure of 8 came in very high, about 85%, but a pig to untie after loading.

And it all goes to hell when ropes are wet, knots can set forever, sometimes have to cut them off.

• Like 2

Good thread btw. I imagine everyone's surprised at the number they know and use. If anyone had said just put a number on how many you use without naming them, I'd have probably said about five. 

Edited by AHPP

Bowline for everything and anything requiring a loop. Plus one of it's more secure variations occasionally.

Anchor for tying to a krab or similar hard ring. There's a good chance of untying it, unlike a Buntline)

Sheet or Zeppelin for joining ropes.

Distel for climbing.

Clove hitch for lots of stuff, but not by itself if high loading. (An interesting and easy variation on that is the Sack/Miller's knot or maybe Constrictor knot, forget the names. Much more secure, can be too secure, so better for something approaching permanent).

Alpine Butterfly or bowline on a bight for midline stuff. Or an Artillery Loop if it's not critical, as it's much easier and quicker than a Butterfly.

Trucker's hitch for a bit more pull on something.

I always think I should be using a Figure of Eight knot for some things but never quite feel the need.