Diesel thieves and how best to deal with

Jumped in my tractor the other day and yet again the bastards have nicked diesel. Fuel light on.... took 40-45 ltr to turn light off so estimate maybe 80-100 ltr gone that time.... and maybe 8 weeks ago poss 50ltr gone that time. 

Wondering weather to get a metal cage made got around my tank, solid metal with a access lockable hinge lid to get to fuel cap. 

If you put a lockable cap on the tossers will trill the tank.

I'm considering some of the night life / nature cameras? Find out for sure who it is... pretty sure we know who though as has been coming and going for years

Owt else I can try?

Farmers using me as a scape goat and won't let me park tractor down near his where cctv is.... they drain his digger and my tractor but doesn't touch his tractors due to being in front of cctv :(

I've never contacted the police on any occasion but was miffed the other day when so much went. The odd 25ltr drum now and again not to bad but takes the mick now

20240305_104526.jpg

Edited by swinny
  • Sad 2

One of these if you've got mobile reception O2.

SHOP.NATURESPY.ORG

The SpyPoint LM2 wireless wildlife camera, available at the NatureSpy Shop. All purchases support our non-profit environmental and social projects.

I had this a couple of years back, made it known with lads in building next door that i was putting a few trail cams up and after i bought cameras and put em up it all stopped ?? bit strange that but like you i had a idea who it was but never caught him on camera,, if you do go the trail cam route get the ones with black LED,s as who every is doing it will not have a clue the cameras are there as apposed to the red or blue LED,s, ,And cameras are not there for catching diesel thieves they are there to monitor the rodent population, its just tough shit for him you catch nicking your diesel,,

Edited by spuddog0507
spelling

To be honest, don't do anything to the tractor.

It just makes repairing damage even more expensive, but cheap SD card spy cctv good idea at £16

Had a mate with a suicide door fergy, with a locking filler cap. They put a screwdriver through the tank and left half of it on the floor.

Always wanted to try that aftermarket fuel dye.

8 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

And cameras are not there for catching diesel thieves they are there to monitor the rodent population, its just tough shit for him you catch nicking your diesel,,

Surely they are classed as part of the rodent population!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

As said make it hard and they  may trash it and even vandalise out of spite , if they are being kind and not leaving it trashed .. I dunno park it some where under cover , maybe a  locked barn with alarms on. 
I had the feckers chuck the cap on the 6400 when they did it a while back and I didnt notice for a few weeks so obviously it got full of water which was really helpful. 

Go to the cops,say you believe you are a victim of a hate crime. State that this began after your suspect learned of your sexuality,as the cops what they are going to do about it.

These days there has to be a reason for the cops to not look bad. They don't seem to actually be interested in deterring criminality anymore.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Mike Hill said:

Go to the cops,say you believe you are a victim of a hate crime. State that this began after your suspect learned of your sexuality,as the cops what they are going to do about it.

These days there has to be a reason for the cops to not look bad. They don't seem to actually be interested in deterring criminality anymore.

Erm, an arborist with wood in public might be more public indecency than hate crime.

As above, some type of camera.  Is it easy to drain the tank? It be tempted to mix in diesel with something horrible that wont compress and trash the thief's engine - water, brake fluid etc. They will regret stealing the next lot. Or red die then inform the police when you find out who it is!!